Thinking About A Lifted Truck ?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckhunter1415, Jun 26, 2012.

1. buckhunter1415

buckhunter1415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have just got this new job and I will be saving up for a new vehicle. I currently have a 1985 ford thunderbird and I would like something a little better that I could show off, throw a buck in or on it and take home, go mudding and have as a daily driver. I really like the look of a later year jeep. And I would like some honest questions, I can take anything you can throw at me..so what are your opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    overcompensating? :whip:

3. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    thank you tony, even if I am, do you think this is a right decision? I like other peoples input.

4. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeeps are great but the 4 door Wrangler would be my cup of tea.
    Hard top for winter... No top, no doors for summer fun!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    That does look bad***, but im 18 and have a budget around $5,000. I love black on jeeps.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want something cheap, that you can lift, yet can be versatile, it think a Cherokee is a good bet. There are a ton out there and they won't carry the premium that a Wrangler will.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Though, I'm partial to CJs :tu:

8. Justin Hushbeck

Justin Hushbeck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cherokee or an 80s-early 90s Tacoma/4runner

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Buck, just playing with ya .... I have a question ....are you prepared for the expensive gas bills you will get? If so, I'd go strait up F 150 or any pick up.... my personal favorite ...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

10. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Cherokees are bullet proof, we have run them well over the 200,000 mile mark before any issues (usually a head gasket about that time) The 4.0L inline 6cyl has more than enough power, the one thing it doesn't have is fuel economy(as already stated). But, I guess you have to decide what attributes are most important.

11. USFAN51473

USFAN51473 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not only the gas bills, but if the lift you put on it is too extreme you're gonna go thru universal joints like crazy.

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The old Suzuki Samurais are tough little 4X4s that get good mileage and are easy to lift. You may find one cheap that you can use as a project truck. Just a thought.

13. USFAN51473

USFAN51473 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only problem with Samurais are they are already top heavy. I had one and had to be careful turning. Lifting them makes them more top heavy.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lifting for cosmetic purposes is a complete waste of cash. It sounds like you are fairly limited on a budget. To do it right you would most likely have more cash in the lift, rims, and tires then in the vehicle. I would try to find a vehicle someone has already lifted. Remember, it increases wear and tear and decrease your MPG.

I laugh everytime I see a truck jacked up. To me its just silly. Anything more then a 3-4" is over the top.

If I was limited on cash there is no way I would by anything other then a pickup truck.

15. Painless

Painless Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What happens when it breaks down from mudding? How are you going to get to work? I wouldn't do anything until I knew I could afford the repairs......Blake

That being said, I'd look for an early 90's model Toyota, V6 or 4 banger will get you through the mud in style, I had 32" tires on my 92 yota and put a body lift kit on it so it wouldn't rub. Got it stuck a few times and had to pull it out with a D8. But to it's credit nothing else made it through those holes either.......

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When I see lifted trucks all I think of is rough riding, gas guzzling, tire-eating, u-joint breaking, front-end-problem having machines. In my younger days that's all I wanted. Now in my old age I much prefer comfort and reliability to being cool.

Man, getting old sucks. :sad:

17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, one day you'll look back and think "what a waste of money." With that being said, I enjoyed the days where my only worries were what kind of aftermarket wheels, sound system, etc I'd be putting into my ride. Enjoy it!

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe the number of new, what would have been under warranty vehicles no longer under warranty do to "modifications". Being close to a military base brings a lot of laughter along with it. :) I appreciate their service but... Well enough said... :)

19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With a $5000 budget I wouldn't dream of spending on a vehicle that will have more expensive breakdowns and more expensive gas bills.

That said, I also wouldn't listen to the guys looking down their nose at big trucks. Everyone in life has something they care about that others will find stupid. I think gaming systems and spending $60 every other week for a new video game is stupid. I think buying ANY vehicle brand new is VERY stupid. I think gardening and greenhouses are stupid. I think cats are stupid. I think cars are stupid. I think the ungodly amounts of money guys spend on fishing gear and fishing boats is stupid. I think eating $200 dinners with the wife is stupid.

Point is, everyone has their wants that they spend money on further than their basic needs. Don't let another belittle you for what YOU want, even if it is stupid.

20. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    Everybody has the right to speak there mind, Its not like I think they are someone I dont know and that why should I listen to them because there on the internet , this was more or less just trying to sit back and learn from more experienced people. Saying that I still want around a 2000 year jeep, black, and I probably wont get a lift but just put some beefy-er tires on it and call it a day. And you guys are right, way too much money to sink into something that might break.
    Something like this, stock they get around 16-20 city, and 22-24 highway.
    [​IMG]