crossbows legal in IL...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rknierim, Apr 16, 2012.

1. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bil...1&GA=97&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=64694&SessionID=84

Looks like making it legal to hunt with crossbow in IL is in progress. The amendment to the wildlife statute has passed the House and is up for first reading in Senate tomorrow. HB4819 is on the way to making it legal. Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally i dont think they should be illegal in any state, yes maybe there own season...

3. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why folks try to differentiate Illinois politics with national politics. The way this bill was introduced is how just about everything gets passed.. and its been done this way since our 2nd president.

How else you think we 'approve' so much money for off the wall military experiments.

So.. Illinois wants to allow crossbows.. big deal. Doesn't bother me at all and maybe it will help recruit greater numbers of participants within the state.

I mean if you don't like crossbows.. don't shoot them.. end of story.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is soooo politics as usual that there's really nothing unusual about it. :)

Having been a member of both the UBI and IBS, I still don't understand their rabidly anti-crossbow positions. (well, I can see it with the UBI because they've become haters and irrational.)

I'm not pro-crossbow but I'm not really anti-crossbow either. In fact... I think I wish this would pass so people would spend their time fighting for more important issues.

6. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Just because it's done often, doesn't mean it's the right way to do things.

7. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fantastic.

Did I say that it was the right way to do things?

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure the politics involved in Illinois weren't neared as screwed up as they were here in PA when they legalized them. Here, it was basically a money driven issue.

I'm not pro or against them myself. Hunt with whatever you see fit. Though, judging by the racks and racks of them at our local bow shops these days, its kind of disheartening to see new comers buy a crossbow instead of a real bow. Not to mention the hordes of misinformed guys thinking they can kill deer at 100 yards with one.

9. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    ok ok ok... This wasn't meant to start bickering. Just for a few honest opinions. I know the crossbow debate always brings out a few who totally oppose them and a few who are totally for them. Politics in IL is just as absurd as it is in the Federal Govt. They are both crooked. End of story there. I only hope it brings a few more ppl into hunting, but I also wish they would study up first and not think just because it has a scope they can shoot out to 100 yrds proficiently. Anyway... on with the debate hahahaha

10. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    My Dad shoots one. We got it for him before he was legal age. He was 61. 62 is legal age for them now. He shot and got pretty accurate out to 70 yrds, but still won't shoot a deer beyond 30. THAT'S what kind of hunter I would like to see come into the sport with a crossbow. Knowing your limits and not exceeding them. Good advice for ALL hunters in my opinion :)

11. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since you quoted me, are you saying I dont like crossbows? I never said that.
    I like crossbows.
    Do I want to see crossbows allowed during the Illinois Archery Season for eveyrone... NO ... (with the exception for the elderly and handicaped ) This has nothing to do with if I like or dislike crossbows.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In the 5 seasons prior to 2009, PA archery license sales were on the decline. When asked what the #1 problem facing the future of hunting is, most people respond with either anti-hunters, or the overall decline in hunter numbers. In hopes of turning that declining trend around, PA legalized crossbows. In the 3 seasons since that legalization, archery sales have increased by about 30,000 which amounts to just under a 10% increase from 2009.

I always find it ironic that we, as a group, say we need more of us to preserve and fight for the future of hunting, and when that happens we complain about it.

I'm not sure why that would be disheartening. If it brings them enjoyment to shoot a crossbow and to get out and enjoy the same woods, fields and experiences as those with "real bows", who cares? There's plenty of things to be disheartened about in today's world, and the fact that someone chooses to hunt with a different weapon than you do certainly shouldn't be one of them.

This, admittedly, is troubling. However, there's just as many misinformed archers with compound bows who think that they can shoot 6 arrows a year prior to the season and so long as one of them in relatively close to where they aimed, it's good enough. Ignorance is prevelant in all different aspects of life, and certainly isn't limited solely to those who use a crossbow instead of a compound.

I'll be glad when this bill passes in Illinois. I may even shoot a deer with a crossbow if it does.

13. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    ^ Nice rational post. :)

14. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally wouldnt mind it this does pass, in fact i hope it does because then my dad and younger children (like cousins of mine) would be able to join me in the woods. Although i would like a "crossbow only season" because I already see a steady decline of deer, if hunters would be able to hunt season long with them, i fear that there would be poaching and other possible issues. Other than that, i hope it passes!

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good post JZ.

Funny you say that. I have said that if it were to become legal here in WI I would do it at least once.
    A) To say I did it.
    B) To piss Johnny off.

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The decline in deer population in Northern IL has nothing to do with hunting, and everything to do with the DNR's agenda of culling deer for the past 5 years. In states with legalized crossbow hunting there has been no proven corrolation between crossbows and a detrimental drop in deer population.

And if people are going to poach, they are going to poach with whatever weapon is most convenient for them. They're already breaking the law, so why would it matter if they are doing it with a legal or illegal weapon?

17. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd imagine that people who want to poach would have a much easier time poaching and killing deer with a crossbow vs with a bow for obvious reason and definitely over a gun since its quieter, and if people were to poach, obviously it would affect hunters who are participating in the outdoors legally. And i do agree with you, the DNR has been the main cause for the decrease of the deer pop. but allowing hunters to use a crossbow would only up the # of deer harvested on top of all the stupid a$$ gun seasons we have that really hurts the deer herd. I know it seems like im coming off looking like im against crossbows but im not, nor am i being a greedy hunter who wants all the deer to himself just pointing out what i think may happen.

18. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good/Bad/Indifferent, I would expect it to certainly change the 'archery' landscape in IL moving forward - significantly. Was just looking at some stats (2010-11) for Ohio, there were 49K deer taken with crossbows and 42K taken with vertical bows.

Curious to see if it will impact lease prices/availability and amount of pressure on public ground...

19. bfr5

bfr5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Amen!!!

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you look back over the past 8+ years in OH, the # of whitetails killed via crossbow has always been greater than those killed with vertical bows. Going back as far as the Ohio DNR website will go (8 years), the vertical bow harvest is on average anywhere from 15 to 25% less than the crossbow harvest. However when you look at the increase in the numbers harvested each year, the crossbow harvest has gone up by 69% since 2003 while the vertical bow harvest has increased by 100%. So while there are still more deer being shot by crossbows overall, the vertical bow harvest has grown quicker than the crossbow harvest.

And as many people can atest, the deer hunting in Ohio has probably been better over the past decade than any time in the state's history.

If it has the desired effect - which is getting more hunters in the field during archery season - then yes, it will have some effect on land availability. However, probably not as much as people think. Looking at PA, where deer hunting is a much broader tradition than here in IL, they saw less than a 10% increase in archery license sales over the first 3 years crossbows were allowed in archery seasons. My guess is we see even less than that here in Illinois.