I finally shot it.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After avoiding the Insanity, I finally broke down and shot it last night. My wife son and myself were on our way to eat and we were close to our pro shop. We got off the exit and my wife said what time does Droptine close? We had 30 minute. We got there and she finally shot the bow she has had her eye one for quite sometime now. We went through the process and finally she ended up putting it on layaway. Now, the owner offered to let me shoot his Insanity CPXL. Our draw length is the same so he went and got it. It is set as 56lb and 29". He is shooting 390gr arrows out of it at 286fps. He uses it for 3D and thats what he had to drop it to to get it shooting slow enough to stay in the 280 speed limit with a 3% margin. He ordered a 70lb bow then had to re order to get it slow enough.

The draw was actually similar to my Element. It has a very nice drop into the valley and may be a little less aggressive feel than mine. The back wall is great!! It doesn't budge. When I released it, it felt just as good as my bow. The only difference is it has a tiny bit of vibration over the Element. What really set it apart from my Element is the ATA. It was a little more comfortable to anchor and a lot more steady. I believe that is due to weight though. I was only shooting at 10yd but, when I set the pin, it stayed where I wanted it.

I am going next week and shooting the course with my bow then shoot it with the Insanity. I will know then which bow I will be using. I will be waiting next time I purchase a bow to shoot all of them that are out for that season.

2. HMRTYM

HMRTYM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    got mine 2 weeks ago. had it set at 29in 63lbs shot 397grainHT2 325fps!!!! very pleased

3. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After reading non stop about your element since Christmas, please keep it. I can't go through this again with another bow. That new bow will do nothing for you. Its not the bow, its the Indian.

4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Insanity is some bow. It's been getting rave reviews. I really think since Bowtech started putting the Hardcore limbs, Flex guard and the overdrive binary cams on these bows, they have stepped it up a notch for the rest.

From what I'm reading the Insanity's are flying off the racks.

Fastbucknut.... Really?

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to see it to believe it!

6. b0nec0llect0r

b0nec0llect0r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree. I was extremely impressed with the OD binary cams as well as the hardcore climbs and flex guard. I shot the Destroyer 350 last season and it was smooth and solid for a dual cam bow. Not to mention the bow could drive nails.

I used to think Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech in that order was the top three, but I'm really starting to think Bowtech is in the #2 spot now.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    So I get excited about something I couldn't or didn't think I could afford and was blessed enough to afford. If you don't like it, stop reading my post.

I was extremely impressed by both bows. Honestly this is the only bow I have shot that I would consider trading mine in for. The deal that my pro shop owner offered me was pretty good compared to most trades.

The speeds are ridiculous to say the least. Not sure I believe the 325fps @ 29" & 63lb. 300fps maybe. Not saying your lying but, I would have to see that one to believe it. I would be shooting around 67lb 29" with a 400gr arrow I should get a touch more than 300fps out of one.

I know my Element at 70lb 29" 370gr arrow busted 318fps. @67 it hit 312fps. My bow is fast enough. but, what may just sell me on the Insanity over it will be accuracy and overall feel on a 3D course. I know what I can do with mine but, the comparison next Friday will be enough to tell how much of a difference they are.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  8. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

There's more to an archery review than speed and draw weight figures and how fast it goes.

9. HMRTYM

HMRTYM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    have to see it to believe it....

Stop by select archery and supply 474 wylie dr. normal,IL . Did'nt believe it myself at first so had to shoot 3 more tims and got same results! just cranked it all the way up to 73lbs and shooting 70 yard target with 50 yard pin. will let u know speed when i get back to shop.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I beg to differ. Here is why. Lets say the shooter is a beginner or someone who just shoots on occasion. Then I would agree. As a matter of fact a higher performance bow would probably hurt a person who is new to shooting. Also, skill level isn't measured in years shooting. If a person practices 10x more than another then that person is 10x more likely to be a better archer as long as that person is practicing well. Form is a huge factor here.

So yes I agree with your statement to a point.

That being said, when a person really starts getting serious and more technical with their shooting especially at distances every aspect of the bow needs to be evaluated. The ATA will probably be the most helpful part. The let off being higher will also help. Along with the back wall being a little stiffer. Its hard to tell a difference in the back wall of the two bows but, there is a slight difference in the two being the BowTech is a little stiffer. All of these will help.

So yes, when a person is much more serious than another, the bow can give that slight little edge.

Now, will the Insanity make that much of a difference in comparison?? We shall see.

11. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol.....

12. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    You are correct on this statement. I am not sure you are referring to my original post here but, if you are, please read it again. There are no speed references other than the set up of the bow I shot. I did an honest assessment on the bow that I shot.

If you weren't referring to my original post then I have to agree with you. If a review were only the numbers, what would be the point of a review??

13. b0nec0llect0r

b0nec0llect0r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part, I'll agree. Technique has a lot to do with it, but on the other hand there are a lot of other factors on the bow that have to do with it as well.

What about brace height? Comfort of the bow? The back wall? Draw cycle? Even the grip? Don't you think those things will affect a persons shooting? Even axle to axle if we're speaking downrange.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  14. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really like the insanity when i shot it. My shop really started pushing bowtech over Mathews a few years ago so i get to play for free. Walked out with an assassin this year when I walked in the door planning on the Z7, or destroyer. I REALLY like this bow...for a mid level bow i cannot believe the overall feel it has for me. Best of luck if you decide to swap.

15. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

yes, really

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its his money... He can do whatever he wants with it. Doesn't everyone talk about finding the bow that feels the most comfortable? Well the new bowtech might be better and if he's going to compete then it would be smart to purchase something that feels right to him.

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you ever stop to think the reason it held better is the lower draw weight is just more comfortable to you?

Also, what kind of stabilization is on it ? Being that it is a target bow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I could do a search and find 20 threads where you talk about shooting as many bows as possible before deciding on the right one. Sounds like you should have taken your own advice.

19. luke/r

luke/r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree I shot the Insanity last week and really liked it.

20. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    If you knew the history of me shooting bows to find the right one, you would know I have shot a ton of bows. Everything from PSE to other BowTechs to Missions to Elite and many others. The Insanity just wasn't out when I bought mine. If you knew the deal I got on it on top of loving it, you would understand why I bought it. The only bow to date that has came close to mine to me is the Insanity.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012