Shot some bows today

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SuperKirby, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was out and about and the wife needed to run a few errands, so I had her drop me off at Cabelas. I was back perusing the bows and started talking to the guy at the counter. I explained my experience shooting (none) my knowledge of what bow I wanted (none) and how much I had to spend (just over none.) He asked if I wanted to try shooting some, so I said sure. He grabbed a PSE Brute X, a Diamond, and a Quest Rogue. First was the Diamond. It was alright, especially since I don't know what I was expecting. The salesman said it looked like the draw was a little long and a lot heavy since it was set at 70 lbs. He grabbed the PSE and shortened the draw and reduced the weight, then I shot that while he adjusted the Diamond. The PSE was better, but I didn't really like the way it fit. Got the Diamond back and it was a huge improvement. I shot 3 groups of 5 arrows from their 10 yard line, keeping them all around an inch or two. Last was the Quest. Let me just say I really liked that bow. My last group after adjusting that one was 5 arrows all touching. Needless to say if I can get enough money set aside I will probably go back for that bow.

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of archery! Glad to see you getting started the right way by trying out several bows first and getting a feeling for them all and how different they all are. Now start recycling those cans so you can go get that thing!

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    RUN!!! Its so ADDICTING!!!! Lol. Welcome and ask all the questions you want. Great group of guys here.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is addicting to say the least.

Now, since you are having to set aside some money anyways, head out to a pro shop if there is one you can go too. Shoot as many as you can. Don't choose the Rogue just yet. Put it on the top of the list for now and if it stays there, buy it but, only after you have shot a lot of bows. Shooting those three was a great start but, there are so many more options to choose from that you would really be selling yourself short limiting yourself to only shooting those three.

5. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on choosing the right bow that will suit your needs.

6. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck in finding a bow. Shooting as many as you can is the perfect way to start.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Kirby! Were you in Rogers or Owatanna?

There are a ton of great bows out there, keep shooting and saving :tu:

8. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    I was in Rogers.
    I'm not sold on it yet, but it's definitely the top of my list. There's a few others I want to shoot first. And we'll have to see how much I get to spend. So far I've had enough set aside a few different times, but it seems like every time I get enough something else around the house breaks. Oh well. Just gives me more time to look around.

9. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Rogue is a great bow for the money. I shoot a 2012 Rogue and after shooting a BUNCH of different bows by all the major brands I ended up going with Quest. The price is right, the draw cycle on the bow is awesome, it's super quiet and mine came with a lifetime equipment warranty. Shoot all you can, but chalk me up as a recommendation for the Rogue. Goodluck!

10. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, you're wife is going to divorce you and you'll end up in an intervention before you know it. Archery is an addicting drug she is...

Enjoy. If you're really trying to get into the sport, there are a ton of threads on people buying new bows with a ton of great information. Plus, you can ask away on here, I've never seen anyone chastised because it was a newbie question 1000 people have asked before them. Great group of peple on here.

11. SRArney12

SRArney12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: haha true!

12. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Whatever you do...do not try the Hoyt Carbon Element. Nooooooo! Don't do it!!! it will ruin you for all other bows. I learned the same lesson when my wife got me a bottle of Gran Patron Bordeos...now regular Patron Anejo tastes like crap. OMG...somebody shoot me!

granpatron-burdeos_r2.jpg

HOYT1.jpg

13. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Kirby and welcome to the site!

Since you went to the Roger's Cabelas I'm going to assume you live in near there. There is a pro shop called Midwest Archery in St. Michael that is top notch. I personally know the two guys running the store and they're a great couple of guys. They aren't pushy salesmen and they really love the sport. They have a great sense of humor too.

14. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Maybe I'll have to try that one out. That would be closer to me than Cabelas. I have to go to St. Cloud today (I think) so I'm hoping to try to stop into Archery Country, but it looks like the wife and kids are coming so I'm not so sure that will happen. It's worth a shot though.

15. 1st Time Hunter

1st Time Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kirby, you just have to get your wife to shoot a couple bows...get her hooked too! It just tends to get more expensive, but so worth it!