Are people born with it?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by NY Bowhunter, Feb 9, 2012.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering today (no idea why), are people born with special skills? Whether it be music, art, mechanic, carpenter, sports, catching flies with chopsticks, etc.... Do you think an individual is born with something special that they would be better than most at from day one? Or do you think they take an interst in something and become better than most do to more exposure to whatever it is they decide to do or are interested in? And if you think people are born with something that gives them an advantage over others, do they naturally end up doing it? Or do they go on with their lives not ever knowing what they possessed?

2. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, and they are called God's blessings.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No question to me. They are born with special skills. Sure everyone develops special skills as they grow and mature. But there are just somethings that people are born with and are natural at doing well.

I'll use this as a small example. We have two children (both boys). When our oldest child was around two he danced to music and you could always tell he had trouble with it. It just looked very unorthodox when he danced. He still can't dance very well to this day (he is 5). He just doesn't have any rhythm.

Our youngest is a dancing machine. He bends his knees, shakes his hips, and just has the right beat. He just knows how to dance- naturally.

I think people are born being better at some things than others just like people are born with different personalities.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. Buck Commander

Buck Commander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Savants are good examples of what you're talking about. they're born with quite a few limitations to normal functions like being social however, they're also born with natural abilities to do other things to genius levels. There are people out there who can put on a pair of headphones, listen to a song, then pick up a guitar/piano and play that song down to the very last note. It's crazy.

Some people though, like the ones you're talking about, can naturally do things to those same genius levels without having the limitations most savants have. To answer your question, I guess the answer is yes, some people are "born with it."

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely think some people are born with talent to do certain things better than most. With that said hard work will overcome talent nearly 100% of the time. I see it all the time at work. I'll interview a younger person looking to build a sales career and they talk the talk, have a ton of natural ability......but once hired and 2 months in their activity level is low and they aren't self motivated. Then you see people that sound terrible on the phones and make all the wrong moves in the sales process.......but they simply outperform people because of exceptional work ethic. I've seen the same thing in competitive archery, and every other performance based activity I've been in my entire life.

Then you sometimes find a rare exception where you find someone that has a ton of talent, combined with exceptional work ethic.......and I think this makes up the majority of the "elite" people in any given skill set. I'm sure there are people that also never find that special skillset they possess.

With that said.......I also definitely believe there are people out there that aren't really good at anything, and are willing to settle for mediocrity with anything they do in life...........lol. Unfortunately there are waaaay too many of these types of people out there.

6. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if everyone is born with "something" they should do. Whether they ever find it out or not, I wonder if every person has something they would excel at better than most.

7. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, many skills and abilities are definitely God given. AND... it can run in a family... like musicians, who are usually also good in math. There are some special gifted folks in just about every facet of our lives. Atheletes, physicians, musician, etc etc etc etc AND... then we have the NOT so fortunate. But fortunately, we have people given the gifts of love, compassion, helping and providing for those less fortunate folks. You can call the blessed lucky if you want... but many are just simply blessed by some power higher than us. Skill have to be nurtured at times or they go stale. YUP, some folks are good, or lucky, or blessed, God given or just amazing. Roll with it.

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Born with it. I however am still looking for my gift in life. At 49 I am starting to think God hide it pretty well in me or forgot it all together !! LOL

Tim

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well of course people are born with skills better than others. I passed art class because my teacher would draw and I would color it in. At the same time, I rebuilt a small block ford and was in the process of building a big block, in high school.
    Adding to that, I can't cut a board straight to save my life. Lord only knows I won't be building my own house any day soon. Why, no clue. I can set up a drivetrain, but not cut a board.
    Everyone has their own gifts

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the exact opposite lol. Right now, I'm working on building a 5,000 square foot assisted living center.

I have always been good at shooting shotguns and rifles, even when I was younger. When I took my hunters safety course I was around 12 or so, and I was consistently out shooting the military guys there.

11. OKY

OKY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the opposite of savants are the people who seem to pick up any skill easily. They may not master any, but excell at almost anything.

Some people seem to be born to do specific things. I know several that are awesome in many, diverse fields. I think it's hard wired from birth.

12. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep! you cant "teach/learn" some things. fast is just fast all day long(or height, or genetics). you can work on it to make yourself faster but folks top out. deff "born with it" but just being born with it will only take you so far. how far is that? i havent a clue, but i know if you work at that gift you can make it better.

i'd rather be remembered as a hard worker rather than gifted though....

13. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, people are born with certain traits, usually through genetics, that help them excel at certain things. I don't believe everyone has a "calling" though. Unless you count stupidity.

14. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was born with something, but it wasn't it.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Old Nurture vs. Nature argument is alive and well. The answer is both/and. My parenting job is to help Zach discover what it is he loves doing naturally and then nurture him to the degree necessary to succeed at it. Some kids definitely do excel more than others given the same "apparent" stimuli. Keep in mind however I said "apparent" for what motivates one child to do well may de-motivate another. Same thing happens in adulthood; I have seen people try archery and quit when they miss or lose a deer and I have seen others use that experience to intensify their drive to perfect their shot. It is also my job to help him identify necessary things he does not do well but help him discover the skills necessary to succeed... eventually, like Math.

16. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is it with people that don't succeed or the less fortunate? Parenting that doesn't help them with their "it" in life? Or they just never realize what their particular "it" is in life? Or do they just not care that they have an "it" in general?

17. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It could be a lot of reasons. Never realize what they are good at. Poor parenting. Poor coaching. Never given the opportunity to discover it. Or sometimes, they just don't enjoy doing what they are "gifted" at. One of the most talented basketball players I knew as a kid hated basketball, and eventually quit. He only played to make others happy.

I was exceptional at college accounting classes. I was told that in accounting, some people just "get it", and I was one of them. That I should pursue a career in it. Only problem was it bored me to death. Sarcasm makes me happy...so I stuck with that instead.

18. Hunter1958

Hunter1958 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I believe everyone is born to do whatever they want to do. Most of us have a "dream" we wanted, but never chased it because of afraid of being made fun of or were told at an early age "don't be a fool" or "you can't do that" sort of thing.Bear in mind that most of the time those that say that, are just jealous and don't want you to "succeed". One is most certainly born with a gift, but only a few find and make use of that gift due to reasons I just gave. For example, this is just one of course, but how many people told Elvis or The Beatles they weren't any good or "you'll never amount to anything doing that!!" The Beatles were turned down by numerous record companies, being told that "guitar bands are on their way out" back in the day...Who ended up with the last laugh on that? This goes for anything in life that you want...sports, the arts, a field in medicine, ANYTHING!!
    Chase that dream. Who knows what will happen.

19. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are certain things that kids love and have a great fascination in those things. I believe once those things ignite the mind there's no holding back. Some people and parents ignore it and call it stupid or ignorance. Once the mind set is lost then trouble ensues. Are some kids Special.

Sure, but none are more special than your very own.