Shooting from chair issue

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Axe Man, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Axe Man

Axe Man Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting a Mathews Switchback for about 4 weeks and shooting a lot. Standing, I am dead on, sitting on my hunting stool, I'm way off. Is practice the answer? Kind of frustrating, but I will work through it!

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep your form exactly the same. In other words from waist up. Try this, draw back standing up beside the stool, anchor then hold your entire upper (above the waist) body, sit down and see if you have the same results. The key is to not move your bow arm. Similar to bending at the waist to shoot out of a tree stand. Make sure you sit sideways on the stool.

3. Axe Man

Axe Man Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the reply! I will try getting anchored and sitting down today if the wind lays down. My buddies were correct when they told me if I picked up a bow I would be hooked!

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Axe Man, although I do not shoot from a stool like you, I can think of a couple of things that might be affecting your accuracy.

1) Does your stool swivel or is it stationary? If it swivels, you could be moving slightly before the shot, there by messing up your form/shot.

2) If you are shooting from the seated position, I would suggest that you tune your bow from that position. Make all your sight adjustments from the seated position. Just go back to the basics and slowly dial in your bow from the seated position. Start at about 5-7 yards and slowly adjust your pin sights as you move back. Your form/sight picture from that seated position is different than from standing, now you must adjust to make it work. "Practice how you play".

Good luck.

5. CrookedRiver

CrookedRiver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am far from an expert on archery but I might be able to give you a little insight on this. A lot of the differences in shooting from a standing position as opposed to a sitting position has to do with your bodies core strength. When you are standing your big muscle groups in your legs stabilize your body and make your shooting more accurate. When you sit your legs are taken out of the equation. Your core now is requires to stabilize your entire body while shooting. Practice shooting from a sitting position and try to engage your core while at the same time control your breathing. Sounds tougher than it is but it works for me.

6. backwardshooter

backwardshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I shoot from a stool, I drop my front knee to the ground. This helps me keep my core straight. My bow shoots the same standing or off the stool.

7. Axe Man

Axe Man Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it coming! About to head outside to practice and going with one of my ex-players to the bow blind today. Not sure if I'll get to shoot, but plan on being prepared!

8. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree with the core strength. your abs and your back are now holding eveything in line. most peoples abs are strong enough, but the lower back is weak. if u deem this is the case, try doing pushups, and staying in the plank posision for a long time, both will strengthen the core muscles.