Single Pin Sights vs Multi Pin Sights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Fatdog, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Fatdog

Fatdog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm fix'n to be in the market for new sights for newly bought BowTech Assassin. Can someone spread the light on single pin vs multi pin sights? I'm sure there are a lot of opinons on this topic.

2. Cmiller

Cmiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot with a single pin sight. My reasons are that I only have one pin to look at and can't look at the wrong pin. I can fine tune the distance when I shoot 3D targets so I can minimize how much I have to hold high or low (assuming I can accurately judge the distance). When hunting I usually set the distance at 20 yards and am good to go. If I know I will need to shoot farther I can quickly adjust on the fly.

I haven't shot multi-pin sights since I had an old Bear bow and needed so many pins on that it was impossible to see anything. I have no experience shooting multi pins with the newer faster bows.

3. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a personal preference. Do you want to move your sight when the deer approach, do you want a single pin sight or do you want a multiple sight, fixed pin? That's basically what it comes down to.

Personally, I choose the fixed pin sights w 5 pins. I use Viper Archery Products sights, both the Pro Microtune and the Pro 2000... in black so I can move them from bow to bow and not worry about camo pattern changes. I currently own 5 of them.

4. mossyoak

mossyoak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a limbsaver speedzone bow and it is very fast. I use a single pin sight and I can use that same pin out to 30 yards, but at 30 yards to be dead on I have to aim about 4 inches high. 40 yards I have to aim about 12" high. I very rarely shoot anything past 30 yards to begin with. Plus, with one pin, i can aquire my target faster with out having to think about which pin to use.

5. thencprince15

thencprince15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from a G5 Rock 4 pin (very nice sight) to an HHA model 5019 slider i like it much better the view is much more clear

6. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is a preference. Things to consider are What is your maximum effective shooting range? What is the typical distance you expect to shoot? If its under 30 yds a single pin is ideal. Five pins becomes a clutter. I changed to a HHA 5519 and have not looked back. I set mine at 25 and If the deer is relaxed and not tense you will have time to adjust if not we shouldnt shoot at a greater distance.

7. Atky021

Atky021 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started out with a 5 pin and tried it for a couple months and didn't like it so i got an adjustable 1 pin.....Never looked back hah so much easier and better

8. GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to consider is a vertical pin set, it really cleared up my target area. =D

9. dgable

dgable Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a multi-pin sight. It lets me shoot at different ranges while at full draw with out having to take the bow down and adjust the pin. In the heat of the moment I don't want to have to make more movement than I have to so if a deer is walking away then I just adjust up and put the next lower pin on him and its curtains for that deer.

10. archery>guns

archery>guns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a multi pin sight with my pins set at 20, 40, and 60 yards. anything inside 20 i just aim a few inches low. My favorite distance to shoot at is 30 yards. I just aim right in the middle of the 2. My 60 yard pin is mostly for practice. I dont usually shoot past 40, maybe 45 yards out in the woods. I like it because i dont have too many sights clogging up my vision and i dont have to worry about adjusting them when a deer comes in.

11. g.sampey

g.sampey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This season I switched from multi pin sight to a single pin I picked the trophy ridge pursuit sight and love it. With the sight picture you dont have that cluttered view anymore and just set the sight to the distance where you most likely think the seer will be and adjust if need be.

12. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am switching over from an extreme 4 pin sigh to a tru glo range rover single pin sight. I screwed up this year on a close deer, I had to stop her and she looked right at me I put the bow on her and it seamed like all the pins sort of blurred together. I was pretty nerved up cause she stopped and was looking my way at about 15 yards. I shot right over her back. My first pin was set for 15 yards so all I can figure is I aimed too high or used the wrong pin. I hope that going to a single pin sight will work better for me. It seams when it got to be low light my pins blur together and it makes it hard for me to focus on my target.