Home made target ideas for small budget ?

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by maddralf, Oct 17, 2011.

1. maddralf

maddralf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    what are some good ideas for a home made target ,something for small budget . like hay bails and a paper target ?

2. range649

range649 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A fast and cheap target can just be a cardboard box filled with old towels, canvass drop cloths, or any other heavy fabric. Pack as tight as you can, then wrap up with packing tape. Box will wear out, but there should be a near endless - free supply at your local grocery store. Seek out the manager, I'm sure they'll help you out.

For something with greater longevity, you can start collecting either pieces of carpet or cardboard and using ratchet straps, compress them (you'll need plywood top and bottom to keep the layers flat under pressure) and shoot into the layers. The arrows will be stopped between layers (mostly). Plan on needing at least 18" of width to stop most modern compound bows - the length is up to you. Plenty of ideas floating around the internet - search YouTube.

3. maddralf

maddralf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok great thanks

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I stuff plastic feed bags (the woven plastic kind that hold 50lbs of dog chow or chicken feed) with plastic shopping bags, plastic wrap and other plasticy things. Cram it into the feed bag really, really hard then sew the end shut. You'll have a bag target that will stop field points. When the outside starts to get shot up, cram it all into another feed sack and you're good to go again.

It won't stop broadheads tho'.

5. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i love cardboard boxes stuffed with carpet which works incredibly you barley penetrate and the arrows slide out incredibly easily thats all I use and there good for 500 shots then you take out the stuffing and reuse it on another box lol

6. maddralf

maddralf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    have you used hay bails before ?

7. Fightnfires311

Fightnfires311 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used hay bails, but weaker spots in the hay my arrows would go all the way through, I use hay bails as back stops which work pretty good. also you can by empty shooting bags, could possibly fill those up with something im sure

8. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Round bales or square bales? i've used round bales since i started hunting and had no problems with them.

9. maddralf

maddralf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    just the square or th the rectangles one , just gotta see where i can get some . last thing to get before i can shoot in back yard

10. Daniel p.

Daniel p. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting with my friends this summer we used a fresh big round alfalfa bale as a backstop and at 40 my buddy missed the target, hit the bale and lost his arrow. Wouldn't suggest bales at all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I farm, and have always used round bales. Using a fresh round bale was the problem itself i think. The longer it sits, the more gravity pulls down on the ton of hay, compacting it basically, and the more stopping power it has. I personally have never lost an arrow in a round bale.

12. stanleybows

stanleybows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what your budget is but you can get pretty decent archery targets for under $40. They'll most likely last you a heck of a lot longer than something homemade and they're designed for easy transport.

13. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most grocery stores bale their old cardboard boxes into nice, big, dense rectangles. They give them away for free, if you just ask. Drive around back and plop it in the back of your truck.

14. range649

range649 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  15. kb9vbt

kb9vbt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A friend of mine goes to the local farm store that sells trailers and gets the foam that they pack between them!

16. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    burlap sack. I did this last season and a swear I shot it a good 1500 shots before I bought my hurricane. Its been sitting in the weather for over a year and I still send an arrow at it every now and then. I took 2 sacks put them together, painted one side with semigloss exterior house paint and painted a yellow circle for a bulls eye. Stuffed it with anything old I could find that was plastic or cloth. Then stitched the top closed.

17. drgrieg

drgrieg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot anything you want to with Judo Point

I started using judo points to practice with. they are great for shooting bottles/jugs of water. the judo point keeps the arrow from digging into the ground and getting lost.

Here is a video of what a judo sounds like and the effect of hitting a bottle of water. this was a 100 yard shot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqtz95kliu0

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are just talking about the small square bales, that's not enough to stop your arrow. You need more stopping power than that type of bale offers. Maybe if you had them 2 deep. You can buy a bag target for pretty cheap, or like others have said burlap sack filled w. rags and packed tightly.

19. gemma122881

gemma122881 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! The Black Hole is a great target and is pretty reasonably priced.

20. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    18''x18'' cardboard box stuffed with carpet scrap. works well