Buck Stop Archery, West Dundee IL

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by racewayking, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For those local Chicago Bowhunters that used to go to the local Gun Store that closed its Archery Department have no fear. Pete has opened Buck Stop Archery and is carrying plenty of Hoyt, Mathews and other quality products. The place has a dry bar to belly up while the bow gets worked on and an indoor 20 yard range. There is also a flat screen on the wall to catch up on hunting videos and plenty of bowhunting.com presence to feel at home;) He is a little light on stock but should be ready come hunting season. Stop in and say hi when you get a chance, the environment is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped in today for the first time and really liked the shop. Actually have him fixing up a few things on my bow so will be picking it up from him Friday. Definetely worth the stop in if your in the area!

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Did you just have it up at Hysell's?

4. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a great shop.

5. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I did but just have a few minor things fixed. Peep needed to be moved and d-loop adjusted. Decided to take it to Pete this time for this stuff.

6. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anyone know if this shop does custom yardage tapes for single-pin users?

7. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the look of that place. Right to the point.

8. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    No clue but give Pete a call: http://www.shopbuckstop.com/

dj-skyy where in the burbs are you at?

9. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I was really surprised when I walked in. Alot nicer then I thought it would be. Actually looking forward to shooting in the range on friday when I pick up my bow.

10. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i'm in the bloomingdale/addison area....off of 290/355/53 split on lake....might have to make this my go to shop instead of traveling to WI all the time....only problem is, i never hunted in IL before either that's why i haven't found a decent shop here...only hunted WI and MO since i got relatives/friends there that bowhunt a lot...maybe i can get some tips on where to check out more public lands in the area without traveling 3+hrs... :woot:

11. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pete is a great tech when it comes to any bow.
    the shop is a great place to go for advice, repairs, and to shot.
    If you are ever up there just let me know who you are if i am there and I will help you find some of the decent areas to hunt public land in the area.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well if your showing people around public land then I may look you up when I visit next.

13. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I am not far from you at all. I am just 20 minutes if that from you. I hunt mostly public land I am trying to get some private or locate a lease or two for next year but this year will be all public for me.

Give me a ring when you get a chance I can fill you in on a few places. I am going to be swinging by Buck Stop Friday around noon if your around and want to stop in.

My cell: 847-436-2300

Jim

14. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

thanks, I appreciate that....I don't wanna sound like I'm protruding into someone's hunting territory, that's why I'm kind of cautious on asking folks on what public lands they hunt...I looked on DNR's website and found some land from region 2, but the land they listed sounds like it's gonnabe congested if there's alot of hunters there...I definitely don't wannabe that guy who walks in that deer trail and see someone else; because if it was me, it'll ruin my hunt also, haha....I know there's gottabe more public land that isn't listed on the website....I just don't have the intel on finding out where, that's all...

15. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few areas for you. Won't be a problem.

16. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe all this talk about Pete is such a great guy. Well the truth is he has had a long reputation of running customers off at GAT GUNS because of his bad attitude. I have stories I can share here. All you have to do is pay him a visit and just start having a conversation with this guy and you will see what im talking about. If you wanted to be treated like a little kid and made to feel inferior than this is the shop for you. I recommend anyone not to waste anytime or money here and find a shop that will treat customers with a lot more respect and show they really care. Went to his so called shop last week which was a big mistake to say the least and was told to leave cause he didn't want to believe that he was actually wrong about my set on my QAD rest with my Bowtech bow. I can explain about it on another post. Believe me you will want to hear this one !!!!!

BTW everyone at GAT GUNS has and/or had major attitude problems that is why Pete fit in so well with their making money philosphies. Its obvious Pete could not make it there anymore and they wanted him out. They didn't make any money with him in the Archery shop. Why? One gun sales were much higher of course after Barack became president. Secondly, gotta realize probably his attitude was a big culprit along probably with overpriced items. Why would I want to give a guy like that my money when I can go to Ebay and save big time. Especially if he treats customers poorly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  17. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some stories mainly the big story from a few weekends ago 9/23-24.

First of all he was in charge of GAT GUNS archery and let me just say he has had a long reputation for running off customers for a longtime. This is no joke! I and many others limited as much buisness from that place due to poor customer service and a no care attitude for several years. I never wanted to go there unless I baught fish bait. Over a year ago when he was there I bought some Nocturnal Nocks since few shops had them in the area and that were the wrong size. Partly the company had the diameter of the shafts wrong. When I called for a refund (no exchange possible) he said to just put scotch tape over them. Really?? Like buying a new pair of shoes that are wrong size you just put newspapers in to fill them up right. He did everything in his power to not want to give me a refund or an exchange. I had purchased a Bowtech bow at a different dealer about a week ago (Midwest Cimmarron). The place moved my QAD Ultra Rest as far as it would go and I was told I needed the adapter for it since it was off by 3/16th of an inch. I tried to find out if I had the piece at home, but decided to go pay Pete a visit since he has Qad rests in the facility. He lined up the arrow according to the riser and set the nock point and attached the rest string to the cable. Everything seemed to be ok. I called the guy at original place (Midwest Cimmarron) he said you still needed to move the rest over cause the cam of the bow is shifted to the left towards the limb, and simply alligning it with riser not good enough. I looked at it myself and thought this looks to be true. I payed Pete another visit just so I didn't have to truck over an hour to the other place. Was hoping I could avoid calling QAD for a part and be ready to hunt asap. I told him about the cam shifted left (Bowtech bows) and what the other guy said. First off he didn't even bother to want to look at the bow. Then said if I do this for a living and if you want to go chopping around from shop to shop to basically get the hell out of here. Basically you should only trust me type of attitude. Said this in front of a bunch of other customers including my girlfriend. I was just repeating what the other guy said. Told me to basically shoot the bow sarcastically. His associate Don had to come by cause he was supposedly too busy with something else. Don at least had some respect and was courteous. After I shot it sure enough it was going right big time and ran out of room on my sight. I took it over to a friend of mine at a Gander Mountain of all places and even he said that it was not center without even putting it on the press. He brought to my attention about the launcher you can take the two little screws out and just move it over to center it. Sure enough shot it and was able to move the sight in the other direction. Within 6 shots I did my first Robin Hood. Pete was absolutely wrong about the centering and if he had actually looked at the damn bow he could have maybe seen about the two screws. He could not take my word that the cam was normally to the left of the limb on a Bowtech bow. Like I said did not want to at least look at it.

Pete didn't even want to follow up with me the next day tells that he could care less. His physical condescending expressions on his face will prove this to be true. He is the type of person that will not admit if he could actually make a mistake. I heard a rumor from other archers that he hates Bowtech for some reason. Maybe he was pissed I didn't buy a Mattews or Hoyt from him? The bottom line is I just wanted it done right and was just double checking. He mentioned about Midwest Cimmarron and fixing many of their mistakes. This could be very true, but I was not made to feel like I was little kid by them and at least and had some respect. Pete has no social skills whatsoever and in this buisness you have to be personable and build relationships with local customers. I work in fitness and if I had half the terrible skills as this guys has id be out of a job right now. PEOPLE BEWARE !!!!!!!!!

18. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Dislikes Received:
    That 3/16th of an inch made all the difference in the world. The proof is in the pudding ! Pete Mull take that one !!!!!!

SSPX0112.jpg

19. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you are the demanding guy that calls other shops and tells the shop you take it to how to work on it. Pete has worked on a bow I didn't buy from him with no issue and I have another I did buy from him. There are two sides to every story, just remember that;)

20. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is the sh#$head that called the shop swearing up and diwn after he left. By the way if u go to the doc and dont agree with his diagnosis and then go to another dr to get the answer you eant why would u go back to the first place cause ur an idiot. And if u knew all of this crap abiut pete then why did u go there at all. Get a life and grow some balls with out a phone or a computer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.