Homemade broadheads (Caution Graphic)

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Rancid Crabtree, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is the process I use to make the broadheads that I hunt with when Im hunting with trad gear.

I use 125 grain field points and reshape them to remove the shoulders. this step may not be necessary buy It looks nice.

the blades are cut from a .039 thick bandsaw blade.

[​IMG]

the jig for slotting the field point is made of steel and clamps the point while the spacer (piece of hacksaw blade) Leaves room for the saw to pass between the two halves to cut the slot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then polish the two pieces and make sure I have a good fit up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I braze the two parts together although I think solder or even J.B. Weld would suffice. I may try this on the next batch because brazing is messy and I have to quench afterward to make sure the heads are hard.

[​IMG]

After cleaning and polishing again, I use a cold bluing to protect the heads and then a light coat of oil.
    [​IMG]

Finished weight, 165 grains. about 1 inch wide (15/16) and 1 1/4 long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After reading Dr. Ashby's report on single bevel broadheads.(right after I finished the last batch of double bevel heads) I just had to make some single bevel heads. It just makes so much sense. I will test both to see if I get his results.

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/single-bevel-broadheads.pdf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After making the first set of single bevel heads, I made a new set with a longer profile. This is closer to what Im looking for.

[​IMG]

After finishing my homemade broadheads and I was itching to try them out . I am really curious about the single bevel blades and what they will do.

[​IMG]

As luck would have it, a neighbor brought me a fresh archery kill to process for him. I asked him if it would be ok to test my heads on his deer. He didn't mind since he wanted the whole deer ground into sausage and/or burger. So here she is. All 68 pounds of her (dressed) I would have loved to be trying this on a 150 pound deer but beggars can't be choosers.

[​IMG]

I made three shots from 10 yards with my 45 pound longbow that shoots an arrow at a blazing 142 FPS. the first two were through the ribs and the final one hit the shoulder blade at the point where the flat and the "T" meet, right near the ball joint. This is (in my opinion) the largest and thickest bone section in the upper shoulder. I admit that hitting this far forward is not a good place to aim on a live animal but things happen beyond our control. I of course hit this spot with pin point precision on purpose.

[​IMG]

The rib shots were complete pass throughs but the shoulder shot ended up with just the fletches sticking out entrance side. I know there were no lungs in the deer but they don't offer much in the way of resistance any way. Also consider that this deer was cold and stiff as rigor mortise had set in so I consider all things equal.
    [​IMG]

Right off the bat, I noticed the "S" shaped cuts that Dr. Ashby had spoke about. This was the case on both the entrance and exit holes.

[​IMG]

*** Word of caution***
    When you pull the arrow back out of the deer (through a bone) and you have sharpened your broadheads on the trailing edge as well as the main edge. Make sure to keep your fingers clear even though you need to hold the deer steady while retrieving the arrow.

[​IMG]

After a brief bit of first aid, I began to skin the deer, I noticed that both of the rib shots had completely missed hitting ribs on both sides. My goal was to break a rib to see the results but I must have used up all my luck..... I mean skill on that shoulder shot.

[​IMG]

2. Rancid Crabtree

Dislikes Received:
    I then removed the shoulder and boned it out.

[​IMG]

Just as described by Dr. Ashby, the "S" shaped cut and the bone had split completely being held at the joint end by only some soft fibers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As expected, the single bevel head is a real bone breaker/splitter. I know this is a very small deer but again, I was using a rather low power bow. Take from this what you will but I am even more pleased with the single bevel heads. This sort of thing is not necessary with todays super fast and powerful bows hunting whitetails but for those using traditional archery gear, or those going after large or dangerous game, we are looking for every advantage we can get

Below are the first two of the new half dozen heads I will be hunting with this year. They are similar to the heads I have made in prior years only these are a bit longer to give a better aspect ratio ( 2.6 : 1 ) and have the added weight I was looking for to be used with my longbow . They are just under 1 inch wide with a blade thickness of .039. The blades are single bevel. They are made the same way as prior heads where the blades are pinned to the ferrule.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The real test is how they perform onlive game. In 2008, I was able to try them out while using a homemade bow I had built for my Son. It seems they work well.

[​IMG]

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/nov_8hunt/nov8buck93.jpg{/IMG]

[IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/nov_8hunt/buck_pic4.jpg

[​IMG]

3. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thats pretty cool to make your own broadheads, they look wicked; goodluck continuing to use them.

4. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool post, those heads look sweet.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is just way too cool!

6. Rancid Crabtree

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to apologize up front for posting those pictures of my face (I did however warn you about the graphic nature of this post) I have been told I have a face more suited for work in Radio. I'll try not to do it again.

7. Zalez

Zalez Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awsome. Do you make the jigs for sale

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some nasty-looking home-made heads. Great job!
    So... are you a machinist or a mill wright? :ninja:

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

10. Arkansas countryboy

Arkansas countryboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You do know that he is banned and this thread is from 2010.

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So does that make the broad head any less awesome?

Really is a nice job on a single bevel. Pretty unreal how such a old design is still so practical...love the picture of it through the bone...no head design can compare to the performance of a single bevel when it it comes to passing though bone.

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool

13. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I vote to let Mr. Crabtree back on the forum !!!!!!!!!
    Let's start a petition, who's with me !!???!!???
    Crabtree !!!! Crabtree !!!!

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Might have had a chance before he had his run in with the wild life enforcement.

Now, I seriously doubt it.;)

sent from my samsung note 2

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, but it will let the two guys that asked him questions know that they're not gonna get a response.

Not likely. Dude was like Jekyll & Hyde. Get DIY projects & write ups, but damn was he a trolling pain in the butt!

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what run in with wildlife enforcement?

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He apparently had a little baiting incident.

sent from my samsung note 2

18. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OOPS.... did not know. Thanks for posting.

19. PA-Legion

PA-Legion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is too cool. That has too feel great knowing you killed a deer with a recurve, let alone with broadheads you made yourself haha. Good luck!

20. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work!