80% vs 65% Letoff ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ILLUSION HUNTER, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does your bow shoot faster if your letoff is at 65%. I can't see any other reason for not having your bow at 80% letoff:confused: If not why have an option of setting your bow to 65%, the longer you can hold it comfortablely the better:d

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the time if given the same DL, weight, arrow, etc.........bows will shoot faster at 65% letoff. Some it doesn't matter though.

With that said, some people like a certain amount of holding weight at full draw. To get this holding weight at a lower peak draw weight, sometimes the 65% is helpful. This mostly applies to target related archery, but also carries over into hunting as well.........but typically you will find a "best" holding pattern in terms of sight picture movement when you can hit a perfect ratio of mass weight of a bow, compared to holding weight.

Hope this helps!

3. bows92

bows92 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    mines at 80 letoff i dont care if its faster at 65 i can hold it forever at 80

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't Pope and Young only allow 60% for their record books? I believe you get an asterisk if you use more.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Over 65% gets the asterisk.

I used to belong to a bowhunting club in IL that had a 65% let-off limit. I had the bow shop pull my bow with one of those computerized bow let-off/draw cycle doohickeys. I was at 66% let-off. A couple guys in the club actually wanted me to resign my membership because I was over. They feel that bowhunters using more than 65% let-off are unethical. (so I was considered ethical until I tested my bow... go figure)

Now, they're considering getting rid of the 65% let-off restriction, but they're keeping the 400 gr arrow minimum weight. So I'm still persona non-grata. :(

6. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rules like this kill me, unethical???? 80% let off allows you to hold your bow back easier thus providing you the energy to hold longer and make more ethical shots. I for one could care less about Pope and Young and paying to enter my deer for the world to see. If a club doesn't want me because of my let off oh well, I hunt for me and my reasons anyway. Recently a great bowhunter made a comment about deer hunting and it was spot on, I won't repeat it but Peakrut and a few others may have heard it at the ATA show.

I feel bad that this group will rob themselves the opportunity to have a hunter as successful as you Christine because of some B.S. arrow weight and let off rules. I shoot a 403 gr. arrow out of an 80# bow, can't see how you would be expected to out of a 45-50lb. bow. These people need to start looking at what hunting does to bring great people together instead of driving them apart, these elitists are the ones that will ruin the sport in the end.

7. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought I heard a rumor last yr. that the P&Y % rule was going to allow 80% let of bows count. If I'm hunting I'd much rather have the 80 than the 65. Not every deer may present the opportunity to draw & shoot. Sometimes you may hold for quite a while b-4 U get an good shot. As for P&Y, it's nice, but I care more about what's in my living room than on the books.

8. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is at 80% and I shot a doe this last season through the front shoulder and it never ran it fell down and then stood back up and stood in that spot for what seemed like 10 to 15 mins. Then it started to walk off and I got another arrow on. It was in some brush and walking to a clearing so I pulled my bow back and she stopped right before she got into my shooting lane. I probably only held the bow back for about 20 to 30 seconds before she stepped into my shooting lane and it got very hard to hold my bow back. Of course I was pretty shaky by this time, but if my bow was at 65% I would of never been able to hold it. 80% makes too much sence to me to go down to 65%.