one pin sights v s multiple pins?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pinstripes, Jan 26, 2010.

1. pinstripes

pinstripes Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is the really major difference of a one pin sight vs multiple pins sight?? Thank you

pinstripes

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pro's/Con's

Single Pin :

Pro's:
    1. Simple
    2. Dummyproof
    3. You know which pin to pick because there is only one!
    4. Typically cheaper than muti pin sights (assumeing everything else is equal)
    5. More wide open vison field
    Con's:
    1. Very hard to shoot past 30 yards (assuming you have you pin set at 20 yards).
    2. Need to compensate for distances other than what your pin is set at.
    Mutiple Pin :

Pro's:
    1. Set at mutiple distances eliminating the need to compensate.
    2. Able to accurtaly shoot out to unlimited distnaces (within shooter and bow limits)
    Con's:
    1. Typically cost more
    2. More to look at and more to process on which pin to shoot from at the moment of truth
    3. More cluttered vison field.
    I'm sure others will have more to add.

3. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Different number of pins? lol

4. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Over the years I have used all types of sights for hunting. I prefer a single pin rear slider for the best of both worlds. The ability to set the sight at the exact yardage of the shot, and the simplicity and field of view of only 1 pin. IMHO the HHA Rear sliders are the best on the market.

I use the Optimizer Ultra.

Dan

5. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here I have used the vital bow gear for years and it never let me down until this year, when confronted by and buck that didn't do what he was suppose to do and went from 20 yards back to 40 I missed the shot becuase I was trying to move the sight. I will be going back to a three pin this year.

6. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Walt, I understand what you are saying, but IMO if I have a 42 yard shot and I don't have the 2 to 3 seconds it takes to roll the dial on my HHA Ultra then I figure I wouldn't have time to take an ethical shot at that distance anyway.

I know it's to each their own, and the vast majority of hunters use Multi-Pins but I seriously doubt I will ever go back. Who knows for sure though ;-)

Dan

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had to shoot my 50pin, once (deer hunting). That was enough for me (when I was shooting compounds) to know "I" had made the right choice.

I can't recall ever shooting the wrong pin (for deer). I recall GUESSING the wrong pin a time or two.....but I shot it for the yardage I thought it was.

Good luck.

8. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the open field of view that a single pin sight offers and the vertical pin. I just find it easier to aquire the target. Also, when using a single pin I practice with it set at what I will hunt with it at out to every conceivable distance I would shoot in the field. This way I know how to hold for any distance. If I miss, I held wrong because I guessed the distance wrong and would have done the same on a multi-pin sight. It all comes down to my skills at range estimation which have declined rapidly since I've lessened the number of 3d shoots I attend.:(

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bry....

The problem with single pin sights (IMO) is on follow-up shots.

10. HuntingBry

Dislikes Received:
    I see your point, but if I'm comfortable loosing an arrow in the woods I've practiced at that distance with my sight as I hunt with it. That's just me though.

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya. If you're comfortable shooting 40, 50 (or more) yds. with a single pin, set to 25 (or so).....then rock on!

Kudos.

12. mnbowhunter

mnbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think im going to try out a single pin this off season and see how I like it. I really like the HHA rear slider sight my buddie has one hopefully he will let me try it out for a bit this winter.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am likely going to have my HHA single pin sight for sale in a few weeks. If anyone is interested. I am going to a muti pin sight. But I really like my HHA sight.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I tried this with my bow (slower than most new bows). By the time I got to 35-40 yards I would be aiming above the deer. I supposed if had a bunch of practice shots I could do it but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a couple more pins on a follow up shot.

I have my pin set at a couple inches high at 20 yards which gets me out to 23-25 yards before I need to start to compensate. I had it pretty well dialed in to 30 yards but after that forget it (for me).

15. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    guess it really depends on your style of hunting, if you like to hunt field edges you may want a 50-60 yard pin, and you should also have a rangefinder to go with it,

I have shot a single pin for about 20 years and love it, but i hunt narrow wooded funnels and most shots are 10-15 yards, with stands 23-25 foot at my feet. guess my bow is set up for the ground i hunt witch is rolling farm ground with ditches and small groups of woodlots connecting to each other in large crop fields..does will feed in the fields but the bucks stay back in the cover until darkness. so my equipment is refined for my setup.

also who gets a second shot on a bleeding deer??

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would never use a site which made me adjust just prior to the shot. I want to pick up my bow, estimate the distance, and shoot. I don't want to be thinking about anything else, or tinkering with some small piece of equipment. That is a recipe for disaster. Now a single pin site in intriguing. All of my shots pretty much are under 30 yards. With one pin, I would still be fine anywhere from 0-30 by holding high or low.

17. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to the single pin hha sight on my new Iceman.....

Have I told you guys I got a New Iceman ?.. It's like the bow they shoot alot on tv and stuff.

SB

18. HuntingBry

Dislikes Received:
    I won't shoot 50 or more yards in the woods, even at a wounded animal without first making sure I have a clear shot with binoculars and ranging the deer before the shot. At that point dialing my sight to the correct yardage is 2 seconds worth spending. At that distance with hunting weight arrows being off by 2 yards can do more harm than good.

40 yards I will have practiced at and know where to hold.

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Yeah trying to adjust something with numb fingers (Wisconsin) with a deer standing there looking around doesn't sound like a recipe I want to try. But hey what do I know.

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I don't see how some of you guys do it....binoculars, rangefinders, then shoot. Most of the deer where I hunt don't cooperate for that long, so fidgeting around thereby creating movement, then taking the time to do multiple things prior to raising my bow is not something I want to be doing prior to shooting an animal.