Lethality of my sons bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Scooter135, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Scooter135

Scooter135 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 11 year old son wants so bad to get a deer this year with his bow. He is shooting a diamond infinite edge 30# 21" draw. Arrow weight is 415g. He can hit a 3" circle at 15 yards and that's about the longest shot he would have to take. Does he have enough weight and punch to take a deer this year? He has been practicing a ton

2. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be very nervous at 30lbs. No need to rush Him into it. He can get a lot of experience in target practicing and setting with you. Just my 2cents I am no expert.

3. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    who says hes not ready. 30lbs will do. just a very sharp cut on contact head will do. thers a difference with cutting meat and wood boards. best hit him in the belly or the tip of the lungs. hell run150yds or further. but giving him more time to expires really important. for low poundage bows. if its a evenig kill. and part of the shaft is in him. id give him a hour or longer. to be 100% sure. id give him the next day

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First you need to know the minimum draw weight allowed in your state, in Pa it's 35# minimum. Thirty pounds would kill a deer with a well placed shot at 15yrds though. I'd wait until he builds more upper body/arm strength.

5. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hit it in the belly? Your advocating someone shooting a deer, intentionally, in the belly?

To the op. Yes 30 pounds with a good quality cut on contact head would most likely do the job. But I would do as suggested, have him sit with you, watch what you do, and wait till next year when he can draw 40 or 45 pounds.

Also, as said, check your states laws.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to check KE on your son's specs and looks like less than 8 pounds KE. 25 KE is minimum recommended for deer. I'd give him some time to pull more weight. Nothing bums one out more than hitting a critter and just wounding it. if hunting this year is important for him I'd break out a crossbow.

7. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Telling someone to take a gut shot... :confused:

If you take a gut shot.. the deer will suffer a horrible, slow death and a really good chance you will never find it. That is piss poor advice.

I also agree with checking state laws.. Illinois is 40 lb minimum.

8. Scooter135

Scooter135 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no way I would teach my 11 yo son to gut shot a deer, he has been practicing heart and lung shot placement only. The KE I come up with for his current setup is 18.9lb. He will most likely be able to get to 35# between now and next month but 40-44# is still a year away.

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son's Bear Outbreak is set at about 32-33 lbs. it will launch arrows with the same speed and penetration as my 50lb recurve.

Limit him to 15-20 yards and equip him with a heavy arrow and a sharp cut-on-contact head and he will be fine as long as he can get good placement.

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son's Bear Outbreak is set at about 32-33 lbs. it will launch arrows with the same speed and penetration as my 50lb recurve.

Limit him to 15-20 yards and equip him with a heavy arrow and a sharp cut-on-contact head and he will be fine as long as he can get good placement.

11. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    40lb bow, 12 yards and 10 years old.
    35874_536911264862_4429235_n.jpg

12. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would wait till he can pull at least 35lbs preferably more but 35 is enough. If you want a good accurate cut on contact fixed blade check these out http://americanbroadhead.com/sonic_heads.shtml they were the first heads I used and they fly great, probably the best fixed blades I've shot. I highly recommend them and I wouldn't hesitate to use them myself. They are super sharp and with good shot placement he would probably be fine shooting 30lbs if that's they legal minimum draw weight.

13. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is 40 pounds, and I killed two bucks with it in Illinois last year. Good shot placement is everything. I double lunged both deer, and watched the one in my avatar picture fall 40 yards from my stand in the beans. I did this by myself and I'm very proud of it. I would highly recommend him using QAD exodus broad heads. Also check your laws. In IL it's a 40 pound minimum

14. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son is 13 and is still nowhere near ready IMO. I want him shooting close to 50lbs, and to be able to hit a 6" pie plate, not just occasionally, but with every single shot, out to at least 25yds. Maybe next season. Rushing a kid before he is ready is asking for a miss or wounded deer, and a very disappointed and discouraged kid.

15. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MD is 30# minimum. If it's legal and you feel he's ready for it, give it a shot. My 11 year old is also drawing just over 30 but I'm making him wait another year, I just don't feel like he's ready to use a bow on a deer yet.

16. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow
    Up here in Alberta , Canada minimum age is 12 to hunt and 40 lbs draw weight to be legal hunting. Sounds like no age limit down south!
    Rocky

17. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was 6 when I killed my first deer, albeit not with a bow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another tip to aid penetration would be to use a two blade broadhead instead of a 3 or 4 blade. I take the bleeder blades off the Phat Heads making them into really sharp, really tough two blade heads.

19. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not going to say make your boy wait if he's shooting at least the minimum draw weight your state allows if you're going to limit him to 20 yards. If I was in your position I would make him wait another year until he could pull at least 40 pounds. JMO

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A 415 grain arrow with most of the weight focused up front will kill a deer if shot from a 30lb bow. Use a 2 blade broadhead that is razor sharp. I would limit him to 10 yard shots.

My 11 year old son wants to bowhunt so bad but I'm waiting until he turns 13 and can pull 40-45 lbs. My son is all skin and bones right now.