Outdrdave's 2015 shed hunting journal

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Outdrdave, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thought I would kick this off with a bonus shed I found this fall while bowhunting.

NOVEMBER 20th
    While bowhunting a spot where hardwoods met the swamp bottoms I saw deer cruzing through a pinch about 75 yards away. Around 9am I had seen enough and decided to get down and move over there for the balance of the day. Ended up finding this shed while moving my setup and later passing up a nice 8pt that came by at 7 yards. For those that follow along on FB, I posted a video that afternoon of the young buck encounter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    JANUARY 24th
    I went out in the rain to pull two trail cameras and stretch my legs. Was a wet mess but ended up finding a nice matched set to a decent 8pt. Didn't get any pictures of this buck despite having 6-8 cameras on this big piece of property most of the season.

3. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    FEBRUARY 1st
    Went out to stretch my legs. Found a lot of sign and an older Coca Cola bottle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    FEBRUARY 7th
    Went to check out a new spot I never made it to last year. Shed hunted several spots in this general area and glad I made it in there this year. Going back in a few weeks. Things were looking great until I jumped several really nice bucks still packing. One two were half racks. I'm sure there might have been shed buck or two in the group but it's a small spot so I go out of there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    FEBRUARY 21st
    Made it out for a few hours to speed walk a spot. I got more buck pictures than doe pictures this fall in this area but there is a ton of ground. I was on a mission to mark bedding areas and feeding areas on my "My Tracks" app to reference later down the road. Saw a ton of sign before the weather turned but didn't find any bone.

6. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dave where you been hiding buddy? LOL Now get it done buddy! Hope you have a great season.

7. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to close the shedbook site and fb page and just been busy with "life". Got kicked out of the shed contest because I didn't check in promptly too. Been posting some on my personal Facebook page and see you doing the same.

I'll be out you way the third week of March. This years trip will include 2 days Illinois, 3 days Iowa, 1 day Nebraska, 2 days Kansas and maybe some time in Kentucky on the way back.

How you been? Hope all's well.

David Syfert

8. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been good! I entered the Wide Boy set, 9 point Freak, Drop Tine Set, and the massive 6 at the Illinois Deer & Turkey Expo so we will see what happens. My freak scored 83 6/8 by a Pope & Young scorer. Heading back today to see if my sheds are good enough to get a trophy. There are a bunch of great sheds there.

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Dave, good to see you! Good luck this year buddy. We're fighting a lot of snow and nasty conditions so I haven't been out but once so far. I have a new shed hunting buddy this year named Bruce. He's a little over a year old and has only been out the one time. Keep us updated on your finds, I'm looking forward to seeing how many you come up with.

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice start Dave! I am looking forward to following along. Good luck this season on your shedding adventures!

11. geoff

geoff Newb

Dislikes Received:
    dave, i had to register and say thank you for shedbook. it was great while it lasted and thank you for all the work that went into it. its missed.

12. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see you made your way over here Geoff. Bunch of great people here. It is a shame about the Shedbook site especially after all that time and energy to get it up and going.

13. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    March 3rd
    Went for a short walk this evening after work. Didn't have much time but thought it was enough to get through this small strip that's produced some sheds over the years. I was surprised with more snow in this area than I anticipated and came up empty.

[​IMG]

14. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    Still enough snow to fight with. It was clear someone had been in this area doing the same thing as me within the last 24 hours. Kept pushing on as there is a lot of area to cover and with the snow melting fast it's still anyone's game!
    [​IMG]

Pretty ball'z set up..
    [​IMG]

Little deer highway through the green briars paralleling a creek.
    [​IMG]

20 yards from boot tracks. Confidence shed, no tines left behind.
    [​IMG]