Pictures of Your Shed Traps

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by American Honky, Nov 21, 2014.

1. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had any experience making shed traps... Seems like most everything I've seen before was some sort of wire trap, but in my mind you have to be careful with this method to keep from harming the buck if he's not ready to drop. A few others here mentioned tires or traps made from 2x4s... Anyone have any pictures of your contraptions? Here in Maine between the tree growth, snowfall, low buck population, and the rodents your chances of walking across a random shed are horribly slim. Thanks folks!

2. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made mine out of a hog fencing section bend into a angle, then 4 bungee cords across it so they have to stick their heads in between the cords to get the corn. The first year I had the fence upright and I didn't get anything and last year I had it down on the ground and it still didn't work. I've been trying for 3 years and it hasn't worked yet. I don't have pics anymore because they were all deleted accidentally.

3. mt10harm

mt10harm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just thought of this design today going to try it this year. Basically 2 5 gallon buckets stuck together and screwed to a tree so the opening is vertical to the ground.(I think this will eliminate so undesired critters getting to the corn.) The front bucket the bottom 1/3 is cut out and a 3 inch hole is drilled in the topside of the rear bucket to run a piece of 3 inch pvc to make a gravity fed corn dispenser. The object is to make the deer stick his head into the bucket to get the corn and hopefully have the distance to the corn be enough for his horns to hit the edge of the bucket. I have included a basic drawing of what I'm talking about below

[​IMG]

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tall Boy.jpg

I stake bungee cords in a semicircle around my pvc feeder. Bad picture but you can see the concept.

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the use of bungee cords. Should keep the deer from injuring themselves or getting hung up.

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are any of you guys on shed hunting groups on facebook? You should see the debates on shed traps on there.

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haters gonna hate, always!

I enjoy free sheds for my dog to chew on, especially when my state allows me to do so.

I also only have shed traps at home so I can keep an eye on them and make sure no one is getting stuck!

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not necessarily against them but the way some people build them is ridiculous. If you're smart about it and it's legal, go for it in my opinion! Still, nothing beats boots on the ground.

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've read in a few places that antler traps can cause pedicle damage which can result in screwy, typically inferior, antlers on the side with the damaged pedicle. If a deer gets their antlers caught up in something like that and pops an antler off earlier than through natural means that could possibly damage the pedicle. Deer know when their antlers are loose enough and ready to come off. Just my opinion.

10. American Honky

Dislikes Received:
    Love the drawing :-P ...that's not a bad concept, especially if you're in an area that gets a lot of snow.

11. American Honky

Dislikes Received:
    Should have done this two weeks ago... but better late than never. Got this up real quick yesterday. Wire wasn't my first choice, but it'll do. I used garden fencing, something you could punch your fist through. It would come apart easily in a struggle, so I'm not worried about a buck getting tangled up or stuck if his antlers are still solid. I stapled each each end tight to the trees, then screwed 2x4s over that on each end with 2x4s on the top to keep it rigged. It's about four feet wide and the deer can get to both sides of it. My game camera is hooked to a pine off the end of the trap. We'll see what it brings..........

IMG_20141228_150555234.jpg