arrow flight/best knock down

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Virginia Pipeline, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Virginia Pipeline

Virginia Pipeline Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This may belong in "target shooting" but i'm more concerned about arrow knock-down/speed.
    Since shooting more, i think i'm either training my eye to better watch the arow flight or i see my arrow "spiraling" towards the target. I have not been to a chronograph since leaving the bow shop. I want to make sure i'm flying the arrow as straight as possible with as much speed and perfect flight possible to get pass throughs and get devastating hits. I'm concerned the spiral flight is me torquing or twisting. It doesn't look like i'm fish-tailing the arrow, but more of a circular spiral flight.
    Again, i might be refining my optical follow through and maybe seeing what my untrained eye did not see before.
    I'm grouping decent and most all of my arrows are perfectly parallel with each other in the target - a stray arrow may be off a few degrees compared to the rest of the group. Any thoughts? I have introduced more 35-40 yd shooting to my routine but still think i can see spiraling at 20yds.
    Much appreciated - if given the chance, i want to have the best chance of blowing through both lungs or bustin through a shoulder if i'm off.
    Thanks

Shooting a Bowtech Assassin
    29" draw
    70lb weight
    Easton bloodline arrows with the correct spine

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First... I am not sure your concentration should be on watching your arrow flight. I almost never see mine except maybe a flash. But, when arrows are fishtailing badly they can sometimes be seen. There are many possible reasons for fishtailing. Improper arrow spine, fletch/vane contact, improper tuning, improper form including gripping/torquing your bow and/or a poor release/follow through sequence. I would suggest before you invest too much time; find an experienced archer or pro shop (though good ones are hard to find) to take a look at your set-up. With quality gear you should be able to tune it up pretty quickly. If there is an archery range near you, that may be a great place to start asking some questions.

There are a variety of ways to check your flight: Paper tuning, bare shaft tuning. broadhead tuning are but a few or you can combine a couple. Either way, the first thing to do is make sure you are set up correctly and I would start with having the bow checked out and make sure your shaft selection is correct.

3. Virginia Pipeline

Virginia Pipeline Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for your thoughts, Muzzy. gonna check those things i can (vanes) - spine is good. I think i'll go one more session shooting this weekend and work on my set up grip/form. If i can't get it to feel right, i'll head back to the shop.