Eastern Washington Elk Ideas?

Discussion in 'West' started by Dustin Silva, May 9, 2024.

1. Dustin Silva

Dustin Silva Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been target shooting with for quite some time and feeling confident within 40 yds and I'm looking for ideas on places to hunt within an hour or two of Spokane. Not expecting trophies, just want to get some action and maybe put meat in the freezer.

Mainly hoping for something to walk in front of me as I don't have experience calling, but am looking into that as well.

Anyone familiar with public accessible land on this side of the state or have any recommendations for someone who has experience rifle hunting Idaho, but wants to switch over to archery in WA?

Thanks in advance.

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never elk hunted in Washington, nor do I foresee myself hunting the state. However, I'm happy to share some thoughts or opine on your thinking...

First, on shooting, make sure you're practicing on up/down-hill shots. Also I'd encourage you to practice stretching out your distance - even if you don't expect to shoot over 40, it's great to have the capability if you need a follow up shot...it will also improve your closer shot accuracy. I also encourage folks to practice shooting through tight spots, this, as you may have a shot close to a tree or through a small set of branches...You just never know what opportunity you may have.

Where: I usually start with a spread sheet compiling info on units...number of tags /hunters, prior harvest data, stats on public land sizes, herd size, bull/cow ratios, etc. Some tools (gohunt and others) can help you target areas or eliminate some using this sort of info. I then look at maps for areas > 1/2 mile from a road or trail, north (NW, N, NE) facing and especially if there is a small stream, spring or headwaters. Similarly, I generally don't look at areas > 3 or 4 miles, unless I know it will be cold or I have hunting partners/help for packing (if successful), to minimize the risk of spoilage. Lastly, I'm looking for areas where elk would have food, water, safety and generally are not easy or very desirable for others (mostly hikers, recreationalists) to access...

Last tidbit, my hunting partner and I have gotten into a decent number of elk every year, all but 1 year of the last 8 with the above. But, calling has been clutch in nearly all the deals we've closed. I'm pretty sure I've only had a few times I was able to get close enough, with the right wind, and me seeing the elk before they see me, without calling...so learning a few calls (cow call, lost calf, maybe a locator bugle) can help tremendously.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    Dustin Silva likes this.