Tent Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys - Headed on a family camping trip this summer. It’s our first trip like this as a family, but hopefully not our last. Looking to upgrade from my cheap 2 person tent.

I’d really like to buy something big enough for the 4 of us. I’d prefer something heavy duty enough to work if I ever end up heading out west and needing it as well. I’d also prefer something one guy can setup in 15 minutes or less. Weight is of little concern, size, durability, and ability to use as a 3-4 season tent are the most important things to me.

Any thoughts?

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started a similar thread so ill be watching this one.

So far iv been looking at Kodiak Canvas and Springbar

Rick James likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If weight and size are not a concern, check out Sportsmans Guide

14' $108
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-teepee-tent-14-x-14?a=2165554

18' $225
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-deluxe-18-x-18-teepee-tent?a=2165780

I pulled mine (14') out for the first time in about 5 years at the TAC a couple weeks back. Easy 1 man set up in less than 10mins. Plenty of room for 4 adults with cots, could squeeze 6 adults in cots if you had to. Vented so you can put a heater buddy in it. It is not sealed on the bottom (separate ground tarp that clips on) that helps with air flow and prevents condensation. See through vinyl windows for added light or pull the shades for privacy, and mesh windows also.

Don't worry about the bad review re waterproofing- it is water resistant for 2-3 years w/ no additional treatment; if you hit it with waterproofing spray every season it will shed water like gortex. If you need the bottom to be completely water sealed; just buy a bigger ground tarp and tie the sides folded up higher than the interior edge.

Mine is about 11 years old and saw heavy 2-3 week continuous use every late fall Michigan deer season for the first 6 years of its life and I've had no issues whatsoever- the only tear was user error (dad had a couple too many Jamesons' and poked a hole in the side.)

I've got plenty of other tents that are better for more specific roles, but if size and weight are not a concern then this is what gets used.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are definitely thinking the same train of thought. I've also got a ton of Cabela's points right now, and have been looking at the Kodiak Deluxe Flex Bow. I also like their Alaskan Guide tents, but after reading and seeing videos online, it seems they take a long time to setup solo. The Kodiak's seem much easier to work with. I'm looking for something that is no more than a one beer project to get setup. :beer:

WillO likes this.
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For truck camping with the family we are currently a Nemo wagon top. If weight isn’t a concern it’s very comfortable, we sleep four with cots with plenty of room. I will have it set up for the next three weeks for our annual camping trip in the Daks.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/wagontop/

For all my hunting I am using floorless shelters, I have four depending on what/where/ how many people. In the winter I run a stove
    Using a Kifaru sawtooth alone or with another person. I also have an 8 man Kifaru tipi that is fantastic up to 4 guys and stove.

Alone packing in alone I use a tarp, either a Kifaru mega tarp or seek outside little bug out tarp.

I also have a Cabelas west wind tent that was decent for what I paid for it, pretty sure it the 6 person model. It’s heavy so I wouldn’t plan on carrying it. It goes up quick and easy even with one person. On the same line I stayed in a cables Alaskan Guide text model tent for a week and it just a beefed up west wind, agian heavy but seemed very well built. Both are okay tents for the money. If you go with Cabelas you can buy gift cards on eBay ...80$ per hundred...limited to three at time.

Tents are item that has direct price correlation. Cheap tents have cheap materials, there isn’t anyway around it.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/cam...as-westwind-p-dome-tent/2437124.uts?slotId=11

https://www.cabelas.com/product/cam...-fiberglass-poles-person/1546762.uts?slotId=1

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    WillO likes this.
  6. solete

solete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I need a solid recommendation on a tent that I can stand up in put all my gear it thats decently well made. I need enough room to set up cots, I can put ply wood down for the legs to not rip a whole threw it. Ill be using it some not a bunch, it can't cost alot of money. Needs to be water proof wind proof all that good stuff. thanks in advance. Hopefully I can get a good recommendation so I can move on

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a yert or a wall tent and be comfortable.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How many people/cots? How will it be used? Where/what part of the globe do you intend to use it?

9. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We got a 8 person tent that is hub style and setup is a breeze, it fits my wife and I my daughter and two dogs easily, with room for cooler and foods. I’ll look and see what company and model it is.