Opinions about buying camo...

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by IDHuntress, Mar 28, 2017.

1. IDHuntress

IDHuntress Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am wanting to get your opinions on buying your camo clothes based on what's most important to you personally along with what camo patterns & style you prefer...

What's more important to you when buying camo:
    1. Price? (low cost or high)
    2. Quality
    3. Where it's made? (USA or Out of Country)
    4. Any other??

With camo patterns, what pattern(s) do y'all like the most & do you prefer Digital print or 3D???

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your opinions!

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me, I try to buy the best quality at the best price point for my specific needs.

For my hunts out west I bought more first lite wool/tech layers (sitka or kuiu also popular) but we were hunting the backcountry.

For hunting whitetails in the Southeast my needs require some different layers/pieces.

Sometimes that means you can get away with compromises.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Made is the USA choices are extremely limited. I wish that were not the case because I love buying made in USA products. I drove around to 3 different boot shops last weekend to find Made in the USA Justin boots I wanted lol. So I worry about quality. I don't care about price. That sounds like I am bragging. But I want my clothes to last. I don't baby my gear. Cheap gear wears out too fast for my liking. I have owned Wal-Mart camo back in the day and trashed it in a season.

4. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The intended application of the clothing is the first factor. Camo clothing is some of the most important gear we take to the field so it must excel in its intended application. I'm wearing different camo if I'm hunting pronghorns from a blind out west in August or I'm hunting whitetails in Ohio in January. What is the material made of, waterproof, fleece, breathable, light packable, etc etc. These are the most important factors for me. Price point is relevant in the sense that most of us have been at this for awhile and have a bunch of clothing already. If the clothing is high quality and will excel at a particular application where I have a need then I don't care about price.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buying on Sale. I don't really care about pattern, as I go through the different temp ranges of the season, I mix and match different patterns. The Deer don't really care if I look good or not. That is more for our own pride and to keep other hunters from seeing us.

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In buying Camo, I believe (my opinion) that you get what you pay for. I believe your camo or gear should satisfy your needs. If your needs are to go early season or you have moderate temps and you only go a few times a year, you might not want to invest in a top brand of gear. Nothing wrong with that. Now if you are a hunter that goes all season long, in various types of weather, from September warm to frigid December temps, you may want to invest in a more quality brand name gear. Below is what I look for in my camo.

1. Function - I want a gear that can do many things. First is it must keep me warm and comfortable, period. If I'm not in the stand I can't shoot a deer. It needs to be quiet. The pattern should go good with the surroundings in which I hunt in. I like pockets to hold various things (grunt tube, windchecker, release, phone, etc.).

2. Quality - This kind of goes with function. A camo must hold up in all different kinds of conditions. I want my gear to last. Especially if it's pricey.

3. Price - This goes back to, you get what you pay for. I am ok with paying more for quality gear that gives me what I desire from my gear. Aside from your bows, arrows, etc. The things I think hold so much value is your clothing and your boots. They are what keep you in the woods. I hunt in Northcentral Wisconsin. It get's very cold at times during November and December. If I'm still hunting, I need gear that will aid me in being comfortable and warm.

4. Where it's made - Honestly I'm not sure if there are many options out there for clothing that are made in the USA. If the Function, Quality, and Price fall in line, I am not too picky on where it's made. With that said, I am supportive of US made products. An example is that my complete bow is made in the US. :tu:

I hope this helps! :tu:

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Functional use matters most. Anything that does not fit the phrase "cotton kills" is what I prefer first. Pattern is irrelevant to me as long as it is a drab natural earth tone. Lately, I've invested in First Lite and Core 4.

As sharp tongued as it sounds, camo pattern is a marketing thing. Others will disagree.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  8. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Quality is the first thing I think about when buying my camo. For all day sits during late fall I don't want to be getting cold during prime time so quality fabric is essential. Where it is made is important but, generally quality products won't have "Made in China" on the back. I based my pattern (asat) on what is most universal in my core hunting area, midwest. Every single camo company in the market will eventually have a sale of some sort so price shouldn't concern you too much if you have the patience to wait for the good deals. I saved over $200 buying all of my Firstlite gear after the season ended and during holiday sales.

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I too shop at the sale rack but it has to be of good quality, be quiet, fit well, be quiet, fit the season/purpose, (did I mention?) be quiet.

Pattern isn't important other than I don't "usually" wear winter camo in September.............

10. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quality.
    Quiet.
    Camo.
    Cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't almost all of First Lite ...made in China?

elkguide likes this.
  13. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There stuff is made in China and Thailand.

I stated that most of your higher quality goods won't say "made in China" but that's not the case for all brands.

14. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I go for a lot of performance (moisture wick clothing) real tree xtra scent-eliminating clothing. I hunt in south east texas lot, so it is 70-90 degrees a lot of bow season and into regular gun season majority of the afternoons so I need something that will cover up my sweat as much as possible. I find real tree xtra is a good pattern for us since everything stays green/alive for such long periods of times compared to a lot of places further north.

15. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Visit Sitka's web page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk