left misses

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kfili, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been missing left consistently. I think its form issues because I miss by the same amount (anywhere from 1-5 inches) when I shoot anywhere from 20-50 yards. The misses arent stretched out with distance. I shoot with a square stance, right handed.
    My best guesses are poor grip (I do not pistol grip but maybe I'm not lining up my hand properly?), dropping my bow arm too soon, not following through straight back, or maybe rear elbow position.
    Thanks for any input

2. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are right handed try moving your right foot back a little bit. If it's to far forward it can make you shoot to the left and if it's to far back it could make you shoot to the right. Just play with your stance some and see if it helps, it took me a while to find the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Issues that could cause your problem...

Canting the bow would be my first thought for what you explain.

To narrow of a stance.
    To much thumb pressure on the grip.
    To much tension in your bow wrist / grip hand.
    Draw length to long.
    To much bend in your bow arm or scrunched up shoulder.

copperhead likes this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Intermittent left misses for a right hand shooter is a common symptom of a draw length the slightly too long.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no expert, but from what you are saying I would say either your torqueing your bow with your hand or you are not holding your anchor against your face. Maybe try standing about a yard or two from target and only focus on your form. Don't worry at this time where the arrow hits. Once you feel comfortable with the release, then move back and try your sights again.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and also what Buckeye and Trail said above about draw length makes a lot of sence to me.

7. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the responses, I dont think its DL I recently had it measured and fit, Ive shot a bow that was too long for me before so I know what it feels like, Ill check the other diagnosis when I shoot this week

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going with torque. Easy to do without realizing that you are doing it. If you have a good bow shop near you, go in and ask them to work with you, (you might have to pay them) but it's far better to head it off now before it becomes a really bad habit.

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Post a picture or video of your form. Some common things that could be causing it is facial pressure, incorrect grip, fletching contact, too long of dl, etc. Could be a number of things

10. thomas1335

thomas1335 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  11. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also found that after shooting a lot, I changed my grip slightly & started hitting left. It wasn't a purposeful change, but more from fatigue.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ill take some pictures today and get them up

13. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so my wife didnt get home till late so no pictures, but I think my bow shoulder was scrunched in, when I started working to keep it low and out I noticed my groups really tightening up (had one .5 in group at 50 yards) they were still off center but I attribute that to over focusing on my shoulder. I also think my grip is still not perfect but it is hard to find a good image of what it should look like

14. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Show us your grip and we'll tear it apart for sure!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

A lot can be shown from seeing what you are doing with your hand.

Blarney22 likes this.
  15. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you have some good advise I recommend you video your self you will see what you may be doing wrong I will just say this if you shoot to long you will fatigue then your form will suffer good luck

16. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The grip is personal but look up john dudleys grip vid

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take some video and watch it. You will be surprised that what you think is good form or correct draw length is often not the case. Video (or pictures) show the true story. We can't watch ourselves shoot so I always set up the video camera if I am having any issues.

Kfili likes this.
  18. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been having the same issue and started looking at the level on my sight prior to release. I have a tendency to torque the bow a little and have been trying to "re-train" my form using the level. It has been helping, but it is fighting a few years of bad form muscle memory.
    I was getting pretty frustrated when I got my sight dead on and next round of shots they all go left again. I believe you are having a similar issue as I was (am).

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try borrowing or buying a different release to use while you are working through your bow canting / form issue. If you are having trouble fixing a form issue, sometimes it helps to start over so to speak and using a different release can help.

20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    since you say your misses are not magnified as the distance increases, my guess is that it is mostly an aiming issue. If you were torqueing your bow, or anything else I'd expect the miss to be more predominate at distance. It makes me think of the aim small miss small saying. As you aim at 20 yards there is play where the pin may be on the target spot, but not dead center on the spot. As you increase distance, the spot you are aiming at appears smaller giving you less play.

What type of target are you shooting? How big is the spot? One thing you might want to try if possible is make yourself a smaller aiming spot. If you are shooting at a 3" white circle, take some black paint and make a 1" circle inside of it and try aiming for that at the shorter range and see how much more accurate you become.