Rage Broadheads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bee, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought some 125 grain broadheads and as I have yet to kill a deer I don't know if they are any good. Any info appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why 125g?
    I prefer NAP Killzone or the double cross! They are amazing! I have would switch to 100 grain unless you are shooting 80lbs, 100 grain is plenty and will allow for a bit more speed, if you are looking for kinetic energy look at shooting a heavier arrow, Easton Axis, Easton FMJ, or a gold tip arrow.

Rangerdan and Bee like this.
  3. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Have had mixed results with Rage had a perfect heart shot on a deer with a rage and only went ten yards and fell but have also had a rage get zero penetration on a decent shot literally the tip broke skin and that was it, switched to the killzone and love them no complaints

Bee likes this.
  4. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I know a lot of people like the hypodermics from rage. I haven't tried them myself but they look a lot better and I know have a shock collar design rather than the O ring, the Oring was a pain to try and reset.

5. bbslayr

bbslayr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I could be wrong but the orange rages are for crossbows. Just going off your profile pic your shooting a compound. Just wanted to give you that insight as there are so many colors now they can be confusing. Also every deer i have shot minus 1 died super fast within 80 yards. And the one i didnt find well there is always that one with any head. And this is based off 30 or so rage shot deer.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Rangerdan likes this.
  6. bbslayr

bbslayr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JP Thornsley, dukester78 and Bee like this.
  7. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well learned something new again, I didn't know they were for a crossbow or about color coating. Thanks!
    And yeah I shoot an Elite bow, will be taking the broadheads off.

bbslayr likes this.
  8. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The 2 blade chisel tips have performed extremely well for me the past 6 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im leaving Rage after 5-6 seasons for a fixed blade cut on contact head.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  10. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used several types of Rage broadheads and have had nothing but success. I will say this...that shock collar looks like the ones they fix to the crossbow broadheads. So, if you're using those with a vertical bow, you might want to make sure you got the right package there. Every Rage i've used has always had a black O-ring design, but I have a friend that hunts with a crossbow and recall noticing the different in the shock collar. Good luck!

Marshhunter1221 likes this.
  11. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. A guy on here told me the same thing last night, I didn't know they were for a crossbow. Is the shock collar the only difference? Let me ask you this to, with a 100 grain broadhead my arrow weighs 409 grains is that enough? Still learning. Thanks

12. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the collar is the only difference. Which is definitely something I would be careful of, as it requires more energy to get the collar to break and expand. To answer your question: Yes, 409gr is plenty. I prefer sticking to 100gr heads. 125 becomes bulky and influences your arrow flight for sure. If you want a heavier load, my advice is to get inserts for your arrow, or select a different arrow type (GPI) al together, rather than loading heavy on the broadhead. My arrows are 510gr and I hunt Africa with them. Easton Axis 300's with a 50gr brass insert and 100gr hypodermic up front. Might try out the Trypans this year.
    409gr is plenty for anything that walks North America.

Bee likes this.
  13. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rage's work great! I haven't had any issues with them. My favorite broadhead is a toss up between the hypodermics and slick tricks

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dont get me wrong, ive killed a pile of deer with Rages. My last 3 does have been killed on video with them and died within sight.

Its the mature bucks that give them a hard time. I got 4" of penetration at 17 yards, my buddy the same at 21 yards. And spare me the speech about shot placement...things happen in the woods.

Still no reason a broadhead should do this:

[​IMG]

Im also very suspicious that the blades dont fully deploy at times.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Bee likes this.
  15. Lifeofarush_06

Lifeofarush_06 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have he hypodermics, 100 grain. ripped up my buck. cant go wrong with the hypodermic, although id love to try the double cross from NAP

Bee likes this.
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have put a Rage titanium tipped arrow thru both shoulder blades of a mature buck, it is all about the setup.

Bee likes this.
  17. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the 100gr RAGE Chisel Tips. One of the mature does I harvested last year was a pass-thru a rib in and out. Just happened that the blades were vertical on entrance and exit.

Bee likes this.
  18. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy got his first deer with a rage. He shoots a light arrow setup got only 6-8 inches of penitration at 11 yards. It killed the deer. I lost my deer the year before that with a fix blade that got more penetration at a farther distance. Now I forever here that I need to switch to rage from him. His rage broadhead way damaged pretty good.

19. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't and won't shoot a mechanical. I shot Rocky Mountain Snypers (Rage before Rage) for a few years and liked them well enough and dind't have any issues really. Just wanted to get back to simplifying things and using fixed blades.

I think the Hyperdermics are the best Rage yet. Solid steel construction with a chisel type tip is far better than their cut on contact tips that were flimsy. As with anything, build your setup around what you're capable of and hunting for. If you're low poundage/short draw lengths, you don't want to try pushing a 2" cut head through a 5 1/2 year old whitetail.

All of these heads assume good shot conditions I feel. Broadside, quartering away, etc., and you place an arrow in the a good spot for those shots. But what happens when the deer moves at the release? What happens if you don't make that great shot you strive for? I know I'm not perfect and I know eventually I will make a bad shot. Having a reliable head/arrow that is built for the "bad" shots (when I say bad, i'm referring mostly to shoulder hits) could bail you out. I use my snafu last fall on a heavy bodied buck I took in Missouri. It proved to me I'm using the right setup. Deer took a step forward and dropped at the shot. I made a bad shot to begin with and it hit him low and slightly forward. Arrow broke both front shoulders and took the top of his heart out. He fell in sight. I have serious doubts a mechanical would have done that sort of damage.

This isn't a mechanical vs fixed debate. Shoot whatever you feel confident in. Just make sure your bow is capable of shooting a head with such a large cutting diameter. You owe the deer that much.

20. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Rage heads for turkeys and have had success there (and broken blades).

Wouldn't consider them for a deer or bigger animal.

haydo601 likes this.