Australian Hunting Trip to Jackals Hide NSW.

Discussion in 'Outside U.S.' started by MarkV, Oct 14, 2013.

1. MarkV

MarkV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    G'day All,

We are about to head out on our first ever hunting trip as a family. In May this year my wife and I welcomed into the world our little boy West. He's now 4 and a half months old and we thought what better time to introduce him to the world of hunting and camping in the Australian bush than now. We are heading out to a property 4hrs west of Brisbane (the capital city of the state of Queensland) to a property called Jackals Hide.

I created their website and thought we'd better go out and take a look at the property first hand. The property holds Fallow deer, Rusa (Javis) deer, good sized hogs, wild goats, wild dogs, foxes, rabbits and feral cats. The deer season in NSW is coming to a close at the end of this month so it would be great to stock the freezer with some venison. It's not a big issue though as the state I live in Queensland, doesn't have a season so we can pretty much head out anytime of year to chase deer. If we don't get onto any deer, I'd love to roll over a few hogs and maybe a goat or too for the freezer. I know my Texas smoker at home is looking forward to smoking up some ribs so a nice young hog would be ideal. The property also holds good stocks of Australian Murray Cod and Yellow Belly so we'll be packing the fishing gear with the hope of landing a few river monsters.

The phone reception is pretty poor out that way so I won't be able to do much of a live hunt update (I swear Australia is a 3rd world country when it comes to technology and internet coverage). I'm taking along my new Canon HF G30 video camera fitted up with a ROde Video Mic so I'm hoping to put together some footage of our hunt. The aim is to document our first family camping trip and I am hoping it will give you all an idea of what hunting is like over here on the big island as Tim Ainsworth calls it.

Good luck to everyone out in the field and be safe. I'll update this thread on our return.

Cheers

MarkV