Food plots in woodland clearings

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by in_the_woods_of_WV, Dec 21, 2015.

1. in_the_woods_of_WV

in_the_woods_of_WV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was just curious , Im thinking about planting a food plot but i dont have access to a large field area . Has anyone tried a food plot or several food plots in woodland clearings and if so were they effective.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and yes.

Most important thing to do with any woods plantings is to get a soil sample done.
    You will probably need to add lime but thankfully it is cheap.
    You can also do some cutting around your woods plots to allow sun to get in
    and to direct the deer to enter the plot from the best trails for you!

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would all create beading cover in proximity to the plot to encourage deer to deer near by...with the hopes that you can have deer moving to the plot early enough in the afternoons.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Soil sample is key but you also need at least 4 hours of sun light. I love small plots in the woods if nothing else to get a deer to stop for a shot. There are several blends of seed that work good. I like No Sweat from Antler King but you can mix up a blend of oats and rye yourself if you have access.

5. in_the_woods_of_WV

in_the_woods_of_WV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Trial153 , any suggestions on good bedding cover i could plant. This upcoming season will be mine and my 13 year old sons first time bow hunting so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Trials is referring to would be an area that the deer would be able to find some security and a safe bedding area.
    This can be done by hinge cutting a bunch of trees in a fairly dense area that would help the deer feel safe.
    Then to go with that newly created safety zone for the deer,
    planting a food plot with some crop like clover and alfalfa with some rye wheat or oats mixed in to give them a good source of greenery to thrive on. The more secluded it is the more likely the deer are to use it.
    One other key to do when creating a food source to hunt over is to make it so that it is easy to get in and out of your stand/shooting area. This should be decided based on the prevailing winds and so as to not be facing into the sun.

(speaking for Trials only because I know he is eating his Christmas dinner right now......
    yes the incredible feast that he didn't invite me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

7. in_the_woods_of_WV

in_the_woods_of_WV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you very much

8. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clover and Oats are very shade tolerant, both are a good choice for small plots in the woods. Taking a soil sample is definitely an important part, a heavily wooded area will tend to bring the soil PH level down and make the soil acidic.