First full season

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Creepy21, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Creepy21

Creepy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this year was my first full on, no kidding, jumping both feet onboard hunting season. My oldest son (13) and I both ventured into the archery world, I got my first trail camera, and all in all I would say was pretty successful as we harvested 3 deer.

It started back in the summer at scout camp. My boy took the archery merit badge and was hooked immediately. Soon after he told me in the car driving to school that he "wanted to do the hunting." Who am I to say no to such a noble request? We moved our family from Georgia to New York over the summer to be closer to family and I thought what a better time than this to make the changes needed in our routines to allow for some hunt time.

We both bought bows from a local shop and followed some advice to go to a small pro shop and am really glad we did. Both of us got some high quality equipment for a shade over a grand. So out to the backyard we went. Each night we fired at least 20 arrows to become stone cold killers (or so we thought). Towards the end of September it was not uncommon to shoot more than 50. October bow season here we come!!

I joined a hunting club late and had only about 2 weeks to scout and try and find our spot. That combined with a friends 15 acres we had 2 places to do our sits. Have to say bow season was a challenge. We only saw a few, and 1 came in close enough for a shot. My son was in the blind and I was sitting against a tree stump a few feet away and I had the only angle. It was a downhill shot from 18 yards according to my handy dandy range finder. Sadly I floated it high and I believe it was a shoulder shot. Never found the arrow, a little blood and no deer. Lesson learned to aim a little lower on a downhill shot, don't evening hunt when you have immovable plans the next day, and to sit down and shut up after the shot. Felt terrible, but hope we learned from our mistakes.

Then we kinda cheated. I had a trail camera up behind my in laws on another friends property that had deer everywhere. His only rule though was guns only. He had a bad experience with a bow hunter that left a bad taste in his mouth so I thanked him for the opportunity and followed his wishes. We took 3 back there, a 3 year old buck and 2 does. Also got to have a real cool tracking adventure as 1 was a gut shot. We left her for the night and found her the next morning.

All in all, this season was amazing for me. The freezer is full, we both learned a lot, and I am currently getting in better shape since I have also learned that deer are heavy. Most importantly I was able to spend invaluable time with my son sitting in the woods and talking about broad heads and whatever other little banter we went into. I am sure that this season has set the foundation for a lifelong pastime that I can share with my boy. For that every penny and minute spent was worth it.

So to anyone who has actually read this far and helped with advice and wisdom over the last few months I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Only another hunter can understand what you have given us.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Creepy21

Creepy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: