Mock Scrapes???

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by mike3803038, Apr 6, 2016.

1. mike3803038

mike3803038 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. I'm in NH and new to bow hunting. I live on 3.5 acres but have hundreds of unpressured acres that I hunt behind my home. While I have lots of land to hunt and plenty of sign (including pics of a couple decent bucks), I don't really have a bead on their travel corridors. There aren't any food plots to speak of so they are living off of acorns and browse for the most part and it's every where. I'm wondering about creating a few mock scrapes and if this would help me pull them in a little closer. There is water nearby so they have that but they don't seem to be around for long stretches. I guess there is just so much space that they have lots of terrain to hang out on but I'm looking to up my chances of harvesting something with my bow this year. I'm relatively new to all of this so I'd like some input from the seasoned pros out there. Would mock scrapes help me? If so, how many and how far apart. Or is there some other method. I thought about planting a small food plot but with little time and equipment I just don't know if I can get something decent in. Other than that I realize it's time in the stand that will up my chances but any other help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
    :bhod:

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the opportunity to work on some of the land around you or if your land is in a good place, I'd try making a few food plots of your own. It might take them a little time to get them coming in but it could give you a focal point for them to come in to.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with elk. Once you have a successful plot you can pattern them coming to and from said plot. So first thing first get a soil sample and have it tested

4. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plot definitely help pattern deer herds. However I hunt a mixture of corn/soybean fields and hardwoods. In my experience from last year, I found an above averaged deer path behind an old field no more than an acre. I hunted this drop tine buck for most of the season without a recent picture of him. I used a mock scrape with non dominant buck lure and straight doe pee. within 2 hours after me being there that drop tine buck was there and completely wiped the side of the scrape the buck pee was and took over the scrape. It was the first time a mock scrape of mine worked and I have been hooked ever since. I say plots are good but mock scrapes can be better if used right and made without human contamination.