PA Archery Review - how was your season?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by PinkPony, Nov 18, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now that our first part of archery is over - how was your season? Did you see an increase of deer? Decrease of deer? Do you feel hunting pressure is becoming a problem?

What did you get this season?

As for me, I saw an increase of deer because I moved my stand to the back of the property where they seem to hang out. However, from when my husband usually hunts back there - it was a decrease. The biggest buck seen was probably a 120". Only seen three legal shooter bucks - a smaller eight (which was shot) and two bigger eights. Had three different four points and a spike. Doe seemed to be low. Saw two mature and some yearlings.

Missed a yearling doe the last night - about 15 minutes left of the season. So I left the season empty handed - but with some lessons learned.

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This season was bad, weird, and great.

To start the season, I avoided jumping deep into our property. Chose to hunt some public and closer to the house. Beings that I did that, deer activity wasn't the greatest. Could've had a doe if I had done a better job of clearing shooting lanes. (Lesson learned)

Fast forward to late October, the activity wasn't what it usually was. Minimal rubs and never saw a scrape open up. First week of November was warm with not much movement in my area.

The second week is when I took off work and hunted hard. Weather wasn't great on some of those days - windy, wet, kind of warm - but I was out there.

We had rain on Tuesday morning so I decided to skip out on the morning hunt and head to town. Once I got back, my target buck was out in the middle of a field with some does. I immediately grabbed my hunting stuff and went in for the stalk. To save on time, one of the does eventually became uncomfortable and the buck eventually disappeared like a ghost. Hunted that field in the afternoon and the buck returned. I was on the ground for this hunt and the buck stayed out at 42 yards. That's not far for practice but just didn't feel comfortable with the shot.

Another day I hunted on the inside corner of a standing corn field. I had very little movement but late in the afternoon had a buck chasing after a doe. I thought the buck was smaller so didn't try that hard to call it in, which I regret now. (Trail cam showed that it was actually a nice mature buck - not sure how I missed that) He followed the doe and then bedded 50 yards away.

The last day of the season was another good one. Had a half rack (but mature) come within 20 yards. I had my bow drawn back and needed him to turn just a little more to get a broadside shot, which he never did. About midday the target buck from the rainy day was chasing a doe within 70 yards. Tried grunting and snort wheezing but he only looked and continued the chase. The last day is always the best in PA for some reason and the rut is always picking up during the second week. I'll keep thinking that way until it proves me wrong.

Later, I found out the neighbor took a 40 yard shot on the target buck and never found it. It upsets me but I'll just leave it at that.

Lessons learned for this year...
    1. Trim good shooting lanes
    2. Go deeper into public land/scout more
    3. Set up more permanent rut stands
    4. Don't be lazy when it comes to going mobile.
    5. Don't expect bucks to come toward you after calling (0 for 4)
    6. Hunt those rainy days
    7. Treestand height should be at least 20 ft.
    8. I hate hunting PA. (Focusing my efforts on some out of state hunts next year)

3. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Over all, I had a reduction in 3.5+ year old bucks this year at my property. Only had 1 who has been consistent. The one I shot I only had on cam once a few days before I harvested him, and had another sow up once (as of 11/8/15, last cam check). I had plenty younger bucks and tons of doe/fawn, so numbers aren't suffering at all. I just think most of the mature bucks were in the corn or something. I normally don't see many mature buck until the corn is cut, but can normally rely on 2 or 3 consistent shooters. Tons of scrapes around. Young bucks were chasing hard pretty much all season. Other then 1 series of trailcam pics, and the buck I shot, I did not seem much rutting from mature bucks. Still was a good season, and I look forward to chasing some doe around. Also hope I can finally get the bedding areas cut that I need and foodplots planted, so my property can really show its true potential in the next few years.

[​IMG]

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    For me, it was a solid year.

I saw plenty of deer, including more solid 1.5yr olds than I've seen in years past (like 50"-70"). Usually, they're smaller forks and spikes, but we have a solid group of young bucks.

I had encounters with four different shooter bucks, one of which happened three evenings in one week with no shots fired as the lanes/angles never worked out.

The buck I ended up shooting was smaller than two other bucks I had encounters with including one that morning, but I'm happy with him, especially being my first Halloween buck.

I have seen far more activity in the last week here in PA than ever, though. My dad watched 7 different bucks cruise through the bedding area behind his house (not far from my stand) on one morning. Followed by a heavy 12 point on the last day of the season.

On Monday on my way home from work, I watch a 110" 8pt cross the road in front of me with a doe. I stopped after they crossed and watched them for a while. Same drive home, and I spotted a lone doe up on a steep pasture side. Then I saw a BIG buck bedded below here on the hillside. PA always gets hot once the season ends, imho.

[​IMG]

5. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a bit of a up and down season, can't complain about the amount of deer I've seen or the quality of deer I've seen. I saw a total of 5 different shooter buck, even had a couple close encounters, just couldn't connect on anything. What was more alarming to me though is the amount of smaller buck, I saw a total of 4 different spike buck and at least 3 other scrubs. The amount of buck around here is unreal, I just wish there was a way of clearing out the bad genetics because I know for a fact some of the smaller buck are at a age they should be showing a lot more potential than they do.

I passed up on doe all season, I have a soft spot for doe that are traveling with yearlings and it seemed just about every day I went out I had a shot at a decent doe but I could never get myself to shoot one. That was until the last day during last light, I finally found a good mature doe that was banged up and she was all by her self and it was the perfect doe to take IMO. I can't say I was overly disappointed with what I had a chance to see when I was out, but with my work shift getting changed and my schedule getting changed it really limited my time I could be out during the last 2 weeks of the season. I'll have fun chasing buck during rifle season, hopefully I can connect on one of the bruisers I've been seeing around.

6. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PA's genius antler restriction results at it's finest !

I've been watching the same spike spreading his wonderful genetics for 4 seasons now.
    and two 4 points everyday this season, one of them is older than dirt.

good luck in rifle Nate

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    haha I would love to see this older then dirt 4 point. Please share, along with the old spike. Im sure a few exist in this world, one of the biggest bucks I seen was a 5pt in Maryland. But come on, we are not over run with them. Its been proven sooooooooooo many times that a spike or 4 point will grow up into something worth shooting. A "genetically inferior" buck is normally a 4.5 year old 135" 8 pt. And if you hunt PA and that's not a buck to get excited over, you have the wrong expectations.

8. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to see if I can find a picture of this four point I passed this season. He was big. Husband seen a large one last year - so I am thinking he is on his downside of growth.

Jake, I am with you on #8! The amount of money we pay to hunt this state isn't worth it to us (husband and I). We are looking at leases for Ohio next year. He already hunts NY.

9. Stephen09

Stephen09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    WGI_0019.jpg The only problem with I have with Antler restrictions is i couldnt shoot this guy this year. But he's gone be one hell of a 6 next season. I hunt WMU 2B I'm new to deer hunting but i saw a ton of deer this year including 3 nice bucks one trophy. I never could get close enough but i chalk that up inexperience. also saw these guys in daylight. but no daylight pics WGI_0005.jpg WGI_0015.jpg all public land deer friends

10. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice looking deer stephen.
    I plan to do some 2B hunting next season, as it adds a full month to the regular 6 week season here in 2C.
    wish I had a little info on some general areas to scout around the lower route 66/70 border (hint hint)
    :)

11. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty good season for me...I hunted in the rain opening day and shot a nice 8 pt at 12 yards. He ran around behind my tree, stood there for a minute, and fell over...25 feet behind me.

I saw quite a few little bucks, and not a lot of does, at least until the muzzleloader season.

PA030014-2.jpg PA030001.jpg

12. Stephen09

Stephen09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wish i could help. I hunt the Northern Part of 2B almost in Butler county. My suggestion use the Game Commission site coupled with google maps. They land access point but its up to you to find an address and a phone number. Find the spot on the map and then use google maps to find the address and then eventual phone number. It takes a little work but its well worth it. you could also pay for an App called Hunt On X Pennsylvania. It does most of the work for you

13. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not too good of a year for me. I spent a lot of time hunting. This is the first time in a long time I did not get a deer with my bow. I had a vacation the first week of Nov. Hunted every day of it. Five all day hunts except one day it rained hinted half a day. I got lots of great footage for YouTube but saw few bucks compared to years past. I only saw three legal bucks all season. I hunted several counties. Greene..Fayette...Somerset ..Westmoreland...I did miss a chance at a nice buck and got the incident on video on my channel. I didn't see any rubs this year compared to last year.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

14. PAhunter570

PAhunter570 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can only hunt one day a week. It's on highly pressured public ground in PA. I scout harder than I hunt and it pays off. Saw very few deer a handful of does and small bucks. Until November 9th I connected on a heavy horned mature 8 point. It's a great feeling to take down a mature buck on public ground and I can't wait for next season.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

15. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a horrible season. I had just under 300 hours in the stand and did not harvest a buck. I think the weather played a part but sightings were at an all time low...both in archery and gun season. The worst part is that I only seen 4 deer the whole last week of the season.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My season started out slowly. The white oaks didn't drop, so that probably cost me at least a doe for early season. Then I took off work the last week of Oct, which is usually great for the chasing phase of the rut, but things were VERY slow! I did all day sits for 5 days and only saw a couple scrub bucks and NO mature doe!!!! The first week of Nov I hunted a few days and did see one decent 8pt that I had a trailcam pic of, but he was locked on his doe and stayed with her out of range. I did another all day sit that Saturday which was unproductive. I checked one of my cams on the way out and found this guy on it. I came back the following Sat and killed him at 6:48AM!! Not a giant, but he's cool. There is a God.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  17. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season had ups and downs. It was my second year hunting this farm and I scouted for a solid 6 months. First day ended early because of our annual rain storm for the first weekend in October. But I learned valuable lessons. I remained flexible with my locations and located 2 shooters that eluded all of October. I had them both hitting scrapes regularly when I was in class and sundays. I couldn't lay my eyes on them at all. I also got to witness the legendary rut hunts in the late morning and early afternoons. I was covered up in bucks for about 2 days, just not my shooters. Bow season ended with me empty handed and I began the two week nightmare of rifle season. I couldn't sleep for 2 weeks until I checked my cameras after rifle to see the number one shooter on my first photo. That was my season and for this year I seen what I believe to be the big boy yesterday running through a field on my way home from work. So let 2016 scouting begin.