Way to go NY... (Rant)

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Billy Pulsifer, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So in NY hunters get 5 total tags for a doe ( not counting two transfers and the late season reg tag change) so why does NY need to increase doe harvest to start THEN make the first two weeks of early season doe only in certain areas. (Mine in particular) if they want to increase buck numbers and age why not just add an antler restriction. Now in all their wisdom they have to combat folks that won't pass a 120+ that will not report that deer and others who will tag a 120+ and ensure they report that the deer was taken in a different wmu therefore defeating any "reports" or surveys they base the entire system off from.

Maybe I just don't get it but seems like a politician is among the DEC staff.

I've now got to change my entire game plan and gain new ground less than 60 days from seasons open. Thanks NY thanks a bunch!

2. OBrien33

OBrien33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did the same to me. I am now not sure if I should even buy a MZ tag as it will be just another does tag. I will already have 3 counting my bow tag from Oct 1 to Oct 15. All for 8A. Plus having access to hunt a farm that has nuisance permits.

What kinda crap is this??

3. Billy Pulsifer

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt 8H 99.9% of the time its my no fail area. I am going to be spending the first two weeks in 8J got a big chunk of land that I've discovered has a ton of sign. But still if we had an antler restriction it would benefit us so much more. Damn politicians..

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    AR's aren't the cure all buts it's a start. Being in an AR zone for the last two years and seeing hunters response to them leads me to believe that the are a band aid at best.

NYS deer hunting needs to be simplified.

1) one buck tag per year that be used in any season .
    2) Shorter condensed statewide regular regular season ( due away with northern and southern zones). The season needs to be moved outside the rut. Let it start the first Saturday after thanksgiving and run for 15 days.
    3) Archery season from oct 1st to jan 31st.
    4) antler less tags given out by drawing and are DMU and person specific. Too many tags are used in zones they are not issued too.
    5) 3 pt AR east of I81 and 4pt AR west of 81

5. Billy Pulsifer

Dislikes Received:
  6. OBrien33

OBrien33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also, if they want more doe killed in those areas stop charging for the tags. Give them to willing hunters.

This along with the youth firearms hunt that is not restricted (10/10-10/12) and Turkey starting the 17th. We have 1 day to get a Buck before the Turkey guys start lighting rounds off.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  7. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where is the actual literature, I have yet to find it on the DEC website. In what areas are this in effect, I heard Suffolk and Westchester Counties...but anywhere else throughout the state as well?

8. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just re-read your post, didn't catch the 8A part the firs time so I guess that answers thats its other counties as well as suffolk and westchester...sorry about that.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is there that much of a deer population issue in NY? To me they are not trying to improve the buck population, they are trying to drop the number period.

10. Billy Pulsifer

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, they think that certain areas are "over populated" but my question is how can NY's one single deer biologist get "that" accurate of a count on the populations. It's not possible. They need to get a few guys for each county to do the surveys so that they will accurately identify the populations per area. Idk I and on the border of the two zones so I decided to grab a few parcels of land outside of the restricted zone. More and more people have said they are doing the same. Grinds my gears.

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they have their way they would turn all urban hunting areas into what westchester.... Used to be great hunting in that county until they promoted a general kill off....and the hunters went right along with them, and the last 10 years they ***** how the hunting now sucks. The idea that deer are managed for hunters is a fallacy, hunters need to wake the hell up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I have ranted about this on local websites so ill take it up a notch and do it here on a bigger venue. I always take the opportunity to question New York Department of Environmental Conservation sampling techniques that asist them in coming up with ideas like this one. I cannot even fathom why u would be looking to the bow hunters to reduce such an overwhelming doe population. Why wouldn't you initiate an earn a buck program during the rifle season ... the reason is they don't want to lose license fees. 3m is one of the WMUs that falls under this new early and late season doe only rule. Orange county is split into 2 areas 3p which encompasses west point and then the rest of orange county that makes up 3m .... so right across the road in 3p west point has banned all doe hunting every season. So how can 2 wildlife management units right next to each other have completely opposite strategies ... do the deer show each other id's so they know if they are a 3p or 3m deer. I'm all for deer management but lets make sure the data supports the decisions .....

13. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like they are trying to cut the herd size down giving all those doe tags. Their doing the same thing in nh. Just in certain wild life management units

14. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the whole thing in a nutshell... to H*ll with data - it comes down to license fees and money. Having a representative in each county or DMU gathering data from hunters, farmers, landowners, etc... and forwarding it on to the DEC annually would be much better, than just a 'willy-nilly' - pull a number out of a hat... for herd management by somebody in Albany or Avon (Region 8 Headquarters).

15. gjs4

gjs4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Want the way to see the state change? Have them actually figure out how Many deer live in an area before saying how many need to go (mind you they're still hinging on the 2012-16 deer plan not even factoring in two of the most severe winters in record) as they have no census data. Start enforcing game laws- as we are the land of the lawless. It would also be a big help for hunters if the states big game biologist, or even region 9s, were hunters. Mr hurst is not a hunter and aggravated by bowhunters being selective. The dec manages license sales not the herd...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Hubba Taylor

Hubba Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ny sucks !! That's all I have to say

17. silentassassin84

silentassassin84 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    NYS politicians and government leadership can't do much of anything correctly, this does not surprise me at all. Luckily I do not live in an antler restriction zone. Not that I plan on shooting a spike buck either. Anyway,s of luck to you all!

18. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New Yorks problem is that there are way too many "killers" and not hunters! People just go out and kill everything hey see. They use their wives tags or don't tag at all. In northern zone bucks are killed as soon as someone has a chance. Public land is a waster of time as well. I'm in the northern zone and it has turned into a mess.

19. nmwilcox84

nmwilcox84 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The DEC sends out surveys to hunters and rely on hunters reporting data as well as ground and vegetation/pellet surveys to generate their deer numbers. So maybe the problem is the hunters not doing their part in reporting their data and participating in the surveys. Using vegetation and pellet surveys you can generate relatively accurate deer population estimates. I know in central NY DEC gets blamed that there are no deer on state land but the data is showing up near 20 deer per square mile. Even after a extremely harsh couple of winters. And the DEC is not pocketing the money they use the money generated by license sales for wildlife and habitat management. The DEC staff are doing their best to create the best hunting practices that will sustain the sport for generations without the population getting to big or too small. You guys talk about antler restrictions and earn a buck ideas which I am all for 100% and I agree with 100% and I do on my properties. But not all hunters are on board wit this, alot of hunters get really mad about the thought of antler restrictions. damned if you do and damned if you don't. I know in central NY hunters refuse to shoot does.I know hunters who will not shoot a 200 pound doe but a spike horn with 3 inch spikes instead. So I like the fact you are forced to shoot does if you want to hunt. You are not missing the best part of the season anyway. I go out the first to weeks of the season expecting does and not big bucks. I am not taking any sides on this but I guess I don't see a problem with shooting a doe only the first two weeks and the extra tags. I will pay more for more deer tags.

20. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just read today NY is now pushing to lower the big game rifle age to 12. There goes the neighborhood.

No deer will have a chance. Too much of a money maker for this state. I'm going to move to Ohio.