When is thebest time to plant clover/oats over here in the eastern shore of maryland?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by AmericanVeteranOutdoors, Feb 16, 2015.

1. AmericanVeteranOutdoors

AmericanVeteranOutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to do new food plots this year and wanted some input from guys who have done it in this part of the country

2. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi no expert here this will be year two for food plots. The best time is in the fall In talking to the VA coop the next and only other time for perineal clover is early spring Feb 15/March 15. If the weather was different I would have planted mine this weekend. Looking at the long range weather I will be looking at the first weekend in March. Looks like a cold spell for the next two weeks. I am going to put in forage oats and cereal rye as a nurse crop with a perineal landeno white and a red clover . The coop told me they use the Missouri coop planting charts as they have the same average temps??. Last year I missed The spring planting and put in dwarf hybrid pearl millet worked great and I have mowed and disked that in.This is going in a two acer feild. I will plant a different mix in two smaller food plots inside the wood line in the fall. I may plant a warm season annual in the woods to help the soil / deer and till that in for the fall planting.I do plan on using annuals for the woods food plots. Start with a soil test . last year I put 8 tons of lime on the two acer feild and the soil went from 4.5 to a PH of 7. Hope this helps

3. AmericanVeteranOutdoors

AmericanVeteranOutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, I appreciate the help man. I've looked into all types of crop and still trying to decide. I got 30 acres to plant so I have enough room to try all types to see how they do and go off of that for following years

4. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The folks here have great info I also got a lot from the QDMA food plot thread read the LC tribute thread the author has passed away but he had a lot of great info and had tried different seed mix and plantings may save you some effort