Hunting Winter City Bucks

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Nfun, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Nfun

Nfun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys new to the forum. This is my first post. I look forward to some good feedback and reading.

I do a lot of city/rural hunting. Big bucks have been pressured all year and finding these guys in the winter on public ground is tough. Everything i read says head to food sources. In the city, there aren't any obvious food sources like corn or wheats. By January, the acorns are about gone and the apples are off any trees. So where have you guys found the best spots to hunt? Bedding areas? Any type of food source i'm overlooking? There has to be a place these big guys are going, i just can't ever seem to find them in the winter Also, what's the best time of day you guys have found to hunt? Evenings?

Look forward to the feedback!

Thanks!

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im curious, where in PA is there city public land?

3. Nfun

Nfun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pittsburgh. There are some larger tracts of land in and around the city limits. No farms, just woods. A lot of big bucks too.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh ok awesome. I didn't know that. Figured if anything you meant down near Washington. What I would do is take some walks a day or 2 after snow fall, look for areas getting deer traffic. You wont stir them up to bad, especially if you do it asap, by the time season starts back up they will have for got anyone was ever there. Every place is a bit different. In NE PA big woods for example its just a lot of brows. Find areas with low branches and they will be chewed on.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm not mistaken, the current State record typical archery buck came from this exact area. I believe it was in the 170"s!

6. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually hunt the evening in late archery just because it's usually warmer than the morning hunts. If there's fields try hunting the inside pockets of them and like others said try to find tracks and see what they browse on and hang some trail cams if you are able to, they save a lot of footwork. I live in greensburg, there's always big bucks taken around the city I hear of never made it out to hunt tho

7. Nfun

Nfun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah we have pretty nice bucks around here but a lot of pressure. Some places are practically in backyards so it makes it tough. There is one part that I hunt during the early season where there are a lot of oaks but come winter I doubt there going to hit that. There are some small maybe 4-5 acre field of grass with woods around it. Not sure if there hitting that still, haven't seen much snow.