PA Rut hitting early this year?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Out_in_the_PA_woods, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Out_in_the_PA_woods

Out_in_the_PA_woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been a rifle hunter my whole life, and never really worried about the rut but now that I am bow hunting this year I wanted some others opinions. I have noticed the acorns have really been dropping and I have heard people tell me they have heard grunting on the property I am going to hunt. I took off the first week of the season and the first two weeks of November, I just hope the rut is not over before November hits.

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The rut will be here in November. The first two weeks of November will be some good hunting.

Deer will grunt at anytime throughout the year. Once the velvet sheds the bucks will begin to establish dominance in the area. This will be subtle confrontations unlike the fights you see during the rut when a buck's testosterone is at it's highest level.

I'd recommend that you not take off the whole first week and instead save some of those days for the last week in October.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The rut will be here the same time it always is. Variances in activity, imho, are just due to a variety of factors. Jake already hit on some of them. You will see young bucks play sparring, little guys chasing does around, grunting, etc., all season long. A lot of these interactions are completely independent of the breeding cycle. Photoperiodism is what truly triggers the active response in the rutting behavior, and that is a pretty consistent event time wise every year :D

Late October through the end of the season, be in a tree as much as you can :D

4. Out_in_the_PA_woods

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, so answer to my question don't just shoot first thing that walks by opening week if I have the first two weeks in November off!

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd shoot anything that meets my expectations, regardless of what month it is. (As long as it's during season. lol) A good buck will show up at anytime, but better chance during late October/early November.

I try to fill my doe tag in early season. Let's me focus on hunting spots that bucks will be in.

Good luck.

6. Out_in_the_PA_woods

Dislikes Received:
    So bucks and doe don't hang out in same area?

7. Rory

Rory Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My tags were filled this time last year. I've seen one deer this season. Its been pretty slow around me here in 2A.

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dead on Matt. I witnessed a small boy chasing does the other evening... happens every year before the BIG guys actually come out when it gets real serious. Remember fella's it's does that determine when the rut happens (and photoperiodism sets that cycle in motion).

9. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Slow around here too. Things seem to finally be picking up now though. The unusual temperatures were making things difficult. Seemed all they did was bed and eat. Only move in wee hours of the morning (2-4).