CT thread....

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Vladamir, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Vladamir

Vladamir Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from CT so I figured I would start a thread talking bout recent action, rut, success and info here in the "constitution state". Read this morning there has been over 3000 deer harvested already in the state.

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    any luck in CT this year? I took a couple small bucks and a doe early with the bow

3. Bob Bergeron

Bob Bergeron Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was fortunate enough to tag a doe in early October this season with my bow. This season was a little odd in that I really didn't see many deer in my area. I also only got 1 buck picture on my game cams in August then not another buck until late November. Their movement patterns really changed this past season. I scouted today Jan. 4th with the fresh snow. Found 7 beds in probably about a 10 acre area. I paid attention to the new sign and may have found a couple new stand sights for 2014. My cameras should help through this winter and next spring to find out for sure.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed a really nice buck mid oct in CT, hunted CT total of 6 days this year and seen a couple decent young bucks.....The rut was poor at best. Seen deer every sit however numbers in the area I hunt seem to be a little down.

5. NickCT

NickCT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a lot of good activity at the tail end of November into December both at night on my camera and during the morning sits just after sunrise. This was by far the most deer I have seen this season since I started hunting four years ago.The only problem there has been where I hunt the past few years is no acorns which concentrates the deer around the few trees that do carry acorns into the late season.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. Bob Bergeron

Bob Bergeron Newb

Dislikes Received:
    From Plainfield

Just a heads up. I live in Plainfield also. Let me know how you make out in the 2014 season and I'll do the same. I mostly hunt private land but there is some good state land in town

7. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all from CT im looking for a dedicated bow hunter for a show must have a partner and someone to film with PM me for details!

8. Brucifer

Brucifer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I tagged out, nothing score worthy. I let at least 20 deer walk away and saw plenty of sign that indicates a large surplus of deer in CT. I had some close encounters with a 12 pointer but no good shots, maybe next year. Good luck next season everyone.

9. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all I'm new to the forum but have been bow hunting for 5+ years how did your seasons go?

10. Bob Bergeron

Bob Bergeron Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from putting out my cameras. The snow sure helps find beds. Hopefully the cold will end soon. The deer are stripping young hemlocks of their bark in numerous places in the woods. I think there ready for spring green up.

11. connecticutjohn

connecticutjohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone here from Fairfield County?

12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Presently working in Stamford.

13. connecticutjohn

connecticutjohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I live in Norwalk and practice in my yard. Do you know of any venues, land etc. where people practice?

The Norwalk parks department does not allow archery in any city parks for obvious reasons.

I found Hall's Arrow Indoor Archery in Manchester, CT. They have a nice indoor range there.
    I wish there was something like that here in Fairfield County.

I plan to check out the archery club in Cos Cob.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been able to look into it, but did also see a place toward Westchester, Xtreme Archery, that seemed to have an indoor facility.

15. connecticutjohn

connecticutjohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I found them online also. It appears from their website that they have a long room with a couple of targets. They also mention they have leagues.

16. Faster

Faster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My father lives in fairfield county. I used to live there with him, and still hunt CT a fair bit.
    Doesn't Hiller Sports (where Forest and Field used to be) in Norwalk have an indoor archery range now?

17. connecticutjohn

connecticutjohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I found a nice indoor range. Unfortunately, it is in Calverton, NY which is 2 hours away.
    It's also expensive. $995 for an annual membership, $695 for 6 months.
    You can shoot as a non-member; one round of 30 targets: $30 per person.

18. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from the Norwich area. Last season was rough for me as well. I only saw one shooter buck all season and managed to take him with a shot gun. I saw more does last year than any other season though.

Hall's Arrow is decent. It's a good place to shoot but as for diagnosing and tuning bows they cut corners because they're so busy. My buddy was having problems with broadheads and they insisted he just sight for his broadheads instead of properly tuning the bow so his BH's and field points hit in the same spot.

I'll keep in touch with you guys as far as activity and movement during the season.

Good luck guys!

19. Bob Bergeron

Bob Bergeron Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Try Center Sports in Columbia CT. Bill is the guy who runs the archery department of the business. He is very helpful, knows all about bows and they have a indoor range

20. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm actually planning heading to Center Sports tomorrow. My dad bought his Mathews SQ2 there in 2002 and I can remember going into the store and looking at all the stuff. How is he as far as tuning? Is he going to take the time to help me ensure my broad heads and field points fly the same? That's one of my biggest concerns now, as I'm going to need to get new strings in the next few weeks so I want to make sure its done correctly and operate 100% flawlessly.