Post Thanks / Like

Wisconsin DNR allowing Stands and Blinds overnight on public land.

In general I like the idea of being able to keep a stand out on public land, but I'm not sure allowing it all season long is the best idea. With trying to get in the woods with my youngest daughter, it would certainly be easier to setup ahead of time so we only needed to walk in when we actually hunt. But I can definitely see hunters going out and leaving a stand sit and only hunt from it a couple days all season. would be nice if there was a good way to limit them to no more than a week at a time without having to take them down. Maybe only allow them overnight from Wed-Sunday.

https://www.wpr.org/dnr-oks-leaving-...ht-public-land
    The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources' board has agreed to let hunters leave their tree stands and blinds overnight on agency land in northern Wisconsin.

The public supported the idea at the 2016 Conservation Congress spring hearings. The board adopted a motion unanimously Wednesday allowing overnight placement on DNR-owned land north of State Highway 64. The highway runs from Stillwater, Minnesota, to Marinette.

The stands have been allowed to be left up overnight on federal and county hunting grounds in Wisconsin, now the DNR Board has approved the same thing on DNR property in about the northern third of Wisconsin from September through January.

Board member Gary Zimmer of Rhinelander said hunters won't be putting long claims on public land.

"If people are concerned, and I've heard this repeatedly in my part of the world, 'Somebody's going to own that piece of the woods.' Well, you can sit in the next tree and it's totally legal," Zimmer said.

The board did agree to limit hunters to two overnight tree stands or blinds per county.
    Hoyt Charger 60-70# 28.5"
    TruGlo Extreme Micro-adjust Compact
    QAD UltraRest HDX
    TruGlo Tru-Tec Carbon Pro Stab
    Victory VForce
    Broadhead TBD.
    Rage Cage Ultra-Light Quiver

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!!!

Some common sense!!!!
    You don't quit hunting because you get old.
    You get old because you quit hunting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dislike the idea, but most hunters are lazy so makes sense this would be supported.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is just a change to WDNR lands. National Forest and many northern Counties have allowed this for many years.

Sure, there have been some problems but more problems with bait sitters getting territorial. I like it so I can slip into hunt in the dark without making noise. Alos safer since I don't have to do it in the dark and set up only once instead of very hunt.
    Mathews Creed Carbon Express Red 250 G5 Montec 125
    Tikka .270

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never understood why that law was in place anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a stand on public, get there at first light and another hunter is setup 10 yards from your prehung stand, what do you do? If the other hunter was there first he has as much right to hunt that spot as you do. Do you hunt your stand, do you leave, do you pull your stand and move, or do you confront the hunter for hunting "your spot".

Post Thanks / Like
    Penna allows this and it causes issues....Bad move IMHO

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by purebowhunting View Post
    If you have a stand on public, get there at first light and another hunter is setup 10 yards from your prehung stand, what do you do? If the other hunter was there first he has as much right to hunt that spot as you do. Do you hunt your stand, do you leave, do you pull your stand and move, or do you confront the hunter for hunting "your spot".
    If someone beats me into "my" area of public woods, then it's incumbent on me to relocate. I wouldn't pull my stand b/c that could screw him over. I'd make do for the day. I've spot/stalked/shot deer from the ground before...

Takem- I'm curious; what "issues" does it cause? I've hunted public land in IN and MI for 25+ years and never had any issues resulting from that.