New to hunting...shot deer but couldn't find it

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Ctsanson1971, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ctsanson1971

Ctsanson1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was out hunting this morning and I took what I thought was a good shot at a doe. I've never harvested a deer by bow but I had a great opportunity. After I took the shot she just kept walking as if nothing happened. I thought I missed her. I waited about an hour and went to retrieve my arrow and it was covered in hair and blood. I decided to see if I could find any blood. There was a little blood but not like I hoped. I left the woods and came back in a couple hours after going home to get something to eat. I came back and followed the blood trail to no avail. I noticed on my way back to the stand where I had seen another doe after my shot I found small drops of blood. The trail went cold after about 50 feet. Both does we're walking as if nothing was wrong just out walking. I'm not sure if it was just a bad shot or bad luck. I've been seeing plenty of does just not any within shooting range. I double checked my sights and hit dead center on my target while at home today. Is there a difference shooting from a stand? Do you aim higher, lower, or dead center? This shot was only 20 yards away and was just curious that more damage wasn't done and the deer had expired faster than it did. Thanks in advance on any help from the forum.

2. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know where the arrow hit her and what color was the blood?

3. Ctsanson1971

Ctsanson1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure but there was bright red drops which was easy to follow and quit as the trail went cold.