Bang for buck broadheads

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by MNhuntingRube, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MNhuntingRube

MNhuntingRube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to bowhunting and I am trying to get set up for the upcoming season. I have bow, stand and arrows all set to go but I can't pull the trigger on broadheads. I am leaning toward NAP Killzones but at 40 bucks for 3 of them I just can't pull the trigger. My question is, for a new hunter going out on public land with easton Gamegetter arrows is it worth putting the money in on expensive mechanical broadheads or as I am just starting out should I stick with more economical broadheads?

thanks

2. Apd123

Apd123 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if you are dead set on mechanicals, but you can get 5 100g Thunderheads for around 30 bucks.

3. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not saying to spend crazy money on broadheads but with everything we do to get ready to hunt and the money it takes to bowhunt the piece of equipment that actually kills the animal is probably the first that shouldn't be skimped on. Good luck finding the right broadhead and this season.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use mechanicals because of the way the perform for me. Like Monster Raxx said, don't skimp on the one thing that actually kills the animal. With that being said, choose the broad head that you think will perform best for you. If you think $40 for 3 is bad, don't look at Solid Broadheads. They are a fixed broadhead and they are $60 for a pack of 2. Thunderheads are a great broadhead. I used them for years.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming you are going after deer.
    Slick Tricks are amazing broadheads for $23.99. And if you do ruin a blade; you can always buy replacement blades for half that.

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck STs would work just as well for anything up to even a Bison.

I converted over this fall and after the flight I'm getting out of these out to 60 yards, I don't see changing back to Rages or anything else for a while.

And as you pointed out, they are super cheap. I picked up 6 packs for $20/each. Great deal and I'm set for a few falls now

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

yes, but as I noted in a previous thread of mine, I get much better penetration at 50+ yards with a G5 Striker than I did with the Slicks. I loved the Slicks, but in an elk situation I prefer the extra penetration. Just MO. see below...

8. MNhuntingRube

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I am going after deer. I went back to the store yesterday and hap NAP Killzone's and NAP Thunderheads in my hands but I still couldn't make a decision. I am trying to weigh two blades vs three blades wound tracks vs arrow flight. I have heard and read the Killzone's fly more like field points then fixed broadheads.

Does anyone have an opinion when it comes to Killzone's vs Thunderheads? I am leaning toward NAP products. Guess you can count that as a win for the Bowhunt or Die Crew.

On another note why don't we see more Bowhunt or Die Crew from Minnesota? Would love to see some public land Minnesota hunters on the show.

9. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the Magnus Snuffer SS, amazing broadhead that reaks havoc cause it a fixed blade 3 blade, and has a unlimited lifetime warranty no questions asked, if you just want a new one for some reason if it "accidentally" breaks from getting shot into a rock maybe just call them and have your original receipt and boom new broadhead at your door. Just a thought for someone that is new to hunting. Also fixed blades are way better than mechanical just due to penetration ability, hit a sholder with that killzone and that deer will survive it, hit him with a fixed blade magnus snuffer ss or a hellrazor or g5 montec and that boy is going down, but shot placement is key and I'm not trying to bash mechanical fans but in just personal experience all of us have had a bad shot on a deer and if it's into the sholder you have a better chance with a fixed. Also there is was less to go wrong with a fixed blade and the magnus snuffer ss, nap hellrazor, and g5 montec all fly like field points out to 35 yards just like field points

10. MNhuntingRube

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much. my next question was going to be about the flight of the fixed blade. You have just made my choice very easy and just in time. Season in only a couple of weeks away.

11. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no issues with fixed blade flight. I shoot G5 montecs. They fly to the same POI as my field points. $35 for 3, and just resharpen easily on a diamond stone. The NAP equivalent is the Hellrazor. Figure out your FOC on your arrow and whether you need 100 gr or 125 gr. Good luck. I'll be hitting public land for the first time this year.

12. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Proper shot placement with a adequate Kinetic Energy will kill a deer no matter what broad head you decide to use. Yes there are differences between ALL of them but most of these are preference.

13. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no problem, glad i can help. NAP makes good products but for a couple dollars more a no question asked lifetime unlimited warranty will help persuade a situation every time and with the flight of these fixed blades being dead on with field points, you cant beat them

14. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my humble opinion, most broadheads will get the job done.. weather they are $10 a 3 pack or $50 a 3 pack. Mechanics reportably fly better, but may not penetrate as much. Fixed blades may need a little adjustments in practice, but cut on contact. Personally, I used Muzzy 3 blades and haven't had any issues with them. The only blades I ever used and would discourgage anyone from using is Satelite broadheads. After I shot them, I would find the blades mangled, broken or missing... they were not nearly strong enough.

15. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I suggest Grim Reapers. They have done me very well and lasted MANY shots on my economical hunting budget.
    They are a little louder in flight than the G5 T3s but I haven't used the T3s in the field yet.

16. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the Rage heads twice and once cost me a dandy. Sounded like a gun went off when it hit the deer. Neither time did I get much penetration. I went back to Muzzys last year and will try G5 montecs this year. Both proven heads will little to go wrong. Plus they fly like field points for me. JMO

17. benkfd139

benkfd139 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey partner,
    Here's my 2 cent's worth (if that). I don't know what weight arrows your using or what other equipment you use. I use Muzzy 125g 3 blade fixed broadheads on CX The Crush 350's. I like these broadheads because they are easy to change the blades (and fairly cheap too) and hold up to alot of abuse. I practice with the previous years blades in the off season and put fresh ones on just before season starts. Only takes a minute to change blades and you can carry extra's in your pack in the field just in case.
    My son uses G5 Montec 125g's and loves them. I guess the biggest thing is it comes down to preference whether you use fixed or mechanical. Hope this helps.

18. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.