Jhauschultz is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Northern Wisconsin... Climber or hang on stand

I new to hunting this year and have been struggling with the purchase of a climber or hang on stand... What do u guys in northern Wisconsin use? I have to hunt public land so I know I can't leave the stand overnight and can't cut trees... I do plan on getting out and scouting but just thought I'd ask opinion of hunters in my area.
    Thanks

Public_Land_Beast is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the LW Alpha hang on and sticks for public. Very versatile!!
    Likes jfergus7 liked this post

Fitz is offline Administrator Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    My preference is a Hang-on with Sticks. You'll be able to hunt out of a wider range of trees. Well over half of the time I hang in trees that you couldn't use a climber on.
    Likes jfergus7 liked this post

fitz@bowhunting.com
    Mathews Creed in Black/Lost Camo
    T5 Arrow Quiver - Black Gold Ascent w/ 4" Dovetail
    NAP ArmorRest - Pine Ridge Nitro Stabilizer
    CX PileDrivers 350 - NAP Quickfletch, Killzones & Hell Razors

My 2013 Season Journal Thread

Trevor Olson is offline BHOD Crew Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the hand on and sticks from LoneWolf. They actually attach together nicely and lightweight!
    Trevor Olson-Bowhunting.com Pro Staff/Photographer & Videographer

Mathews Creed/Lost Camo
    NAP Apache Rest
    Pine Ridge Sawtooth Stabilizer
    HHA Sports Optimizer Lite Ultra
    Carbon Express Blue Streak Select 250's and Carbon Express RED 250's with NAP Quickfletch Quickspins
    NAP Killzone/NAP Blood Runner 3 blade/NAP Spitfire Edge/NAP HellRazor
    Vortex Optics, Stic-N-Pic Trail Camera Mounts, Tenzing Packs, Bowstix, Bullys Game Calls, Havalon Knives, Dogbone

Loggyjens74 is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would use a hang-on stand with climbing sticks. Very safe and versitile... plus you will save about 200 dollars. I had a lone wolf climber and sold it. I have around 10 hang on stands, and I am constantly moving them.

jfergus7 is online now Field Staff Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Loggyjens74 View Post
    I would use a hang-on stand with climbing sticks. Very safe and versitile... plus you will save about 200 dollars. I had a lone wolf climber and sold it. I have around 10 hang on stands, and I am constantly moving them.
    How are you saving $200 by going with a hangon and sticks vs. a climber?
    Mathews Helim
    Carbon Express Blue Streak Selects
    NAP Killzones & Quickfletches
    NAP Apache Carbon
    Pine Ridge Nitro Stabilizer
    Lakewood Products Bowfile

Click Here: My 2014 Bowhunting.com GTG Promo Video

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont use Lone wolf hang ons... I usually purchase most of my gear in the winter or spring to save. I spend only 50-80 dollars on a stand, and usually put my own hardware in. The climbing sticks I use run about the same. If I remember correctly, the climber I had was around 400plus dollars.

johnwb82 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say Hang on I have always hunted private land and used a Climber and now buying a Lone Wolf hang on and Sticks to be more versatile in the woods since im going to be on public land.
    2011 Quest Hammer by G5
    Grim Reaper 2" White Tail Special Razor cut SS
    Wicked Ridge Invader HP X-Bow

johnwb82 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also if you plan on sitting long hunts dont buy a cheap hang on I have one that has been in the same tree for 3 years Ive maybe sat in it 5 times because it is extremely uncomfortable.
    2011 Quest Hammer by G5
    Grim Reaper 2" White Tail Special Razor cut SS
    Wicked Ridge Invader HP X-Bow

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the cheaper the hang-on... the more you lack in features. Weight, seat, strap..ect. If I could afford LW hang ons I would. But I am on a strict budget paying for college and all, so I use brands such as Ameristep and Guide Gear. But if you are going to just going to be purchasing one and using it often, I would suggest something higher quality.

wildernessninja is offline Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was using a pack n stack ladderstand by rivers edge couldn't get in to a lot of trees and its heavy.fund lonewolf stand on sale this yr and got the sticks to go with it.havn't tried mine yet but used a buddys up north last season on an all day sit.it real nice only thing seat may hurt a little after a while.
    parker side kick 65lb, ripcord rest, black gold rush sight,easton arrows and muzzy broadheads
    on archerytalk, waterfowltalk,duckhuntingchat,as wildernessninja. also ducksunlimited as bdhunter.

Smokey is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    What public land? County, State or Federal?

I use hang on stands and have about eight good ones and a few bad ones that I rarely set up. If I had it to do all over I would buy a couple of LW or Muddy sticks instead of having a ladder on each stand. I had a LW climber that was nice and mobile but very uncomfortable. I had a Summit that was great but sold it since it did not break down for carrying. No longer do I use climbers. I also am using ground blinds much more these days. I go out and build them usually in the spring but sometimes in early fall. I use native vegetation for the ground blinds.

On National Forest lands and some County lands the stands can be left up during season. I lock some of mine and some I don't. I mostly hunt USFS lands so most of my stands are there and the two county forest lands I hunt are open to leaving stands up. Just check with those counties to be sure. If you let me know I may be able to tell you each County policy as well.
    Mathews Creed Carbon Express Red 250 G5 Montec 125
    Tikka .270

DVO
    DVO is offline Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hunt NW Wisconsin and have a climber and hang-on's. Your have the same issue with both on public land. Cutting branches/shoot lanes. You have to pick your spots carefully. I have cheaper hang-on's and cheap climbing sticks so they don't pack that well over distance.

If I was starting from scratch with what I know right now I would pony up the money for that new Lone Wolf Alpha Tech ($199) and a set of Lone Wolf climbing sticks... Not sure on the price of those. But as far as light weight and packable I doubt you can beat them. I should say I have never used either myself but have had my eye on them for some time now.
    2013 Mathews ZXT
    trophy taker Xtreme
    lighted primal x5
    k tech infinity stabilizer
    Mathews gridlock t3 quiver
    Victory Vforce V1
    Rage Hypodermic