Building your own target that looks good and lasts while saving hundreds of dollars.

Discussion in 'Manufacturers, Press, and Pro-Staff' started by thirdhandman, Mar 30, 2014.

1. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spring is upon us and thinking about shooting again. Now is the time to get your targets built.

Third Hand Archery sells DIY range target skins. www.diyarcheryrangetarget.com They look decent and outlast the others. For about $65 total cost and a couple hours it can be built like this. It does come with instructions but I will post some how too pictures also.
    2013-04-29 12.43.06.jpg 2013-04-29 12.44.32.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can show you or tell you how to make a archery target that last for under 10 bucks.

3. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    65 bucks also for that i dont know about that id buy a new target. I work in a proshop we sell the block classic for 58.99.

4. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a couple pics showing how to build. 2013-06-03 10.55.28.jpg
    Buy a 12" 2x12" board. If you buy from Lowe's ask them to cut it into 2 boards 33" and 2 boards 36".
    Screw the boards together with the 33" boards being upright and 36" boards across top and bottom. This will make a 36" box and help keep the water out of the ends of the upright boards.
    Cut a 6" by 24" slot in the top. Put a 2" x 2 " by 26" across the top of the lid.

2013-06-03 12.09.34.jpg
    Drill a couple 3/4" holes in the sides and put a rope through for handles. Then staple a solid colored material or plastic sheet to keep the color of the clothing from showing through.

2013-06-03 12.38.43.jpg
    Staple both each skin 2" apart all the way around the target front and back.

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    so does that give you the right to be a D-bag?

6. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Did you fill that with clothing ?

7. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    Trim the edges with a 1 1/4 wide trim boards. This will leave about a 1/4" all the way around so the trim don't pull off while moving the targets. Now fill the targets. Wadd up clothes and start in the corners and fill it up. Tamp the clothes down with the cut out lid portion of the target as you go.
    2013-06-03 18.31.57.jpg

Now if you did this times 5 all at the same time, you could do them all in a day.
    2013-06-03 16.51.44.jpg
    As you may be able to tell by the creases in the last target on the right, I didn't quite have enough clothes to do them all. The creases in the target face do come out with the packing the clothes. Notice this was done without chicken wire and the faces remained flat. Our target skins don't stretch like some others.

8. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Lol im not i was just saying its less time consuming and cheaper for those who want a target but are not handy. Ive built a few i have one under 10 bucks that lasts it might not look as nice as the one he built but itll take a beating.

9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    maybe I took it wrong! :lol:

10. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    They do look nice. great job . i use almost the same method for the one under ten bucks with clothing. But those look nicer lol.

11. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    Bet it doesn't look as good or last as long.
    As far as the block is concerned. Get a 3'x3' block delivered to me for $58.99 and I'll buy all you got. Then I'll put our target face on them as the block doesn't give aiming spots.

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thirdhandman, do you make a 4'x4' face? I have enough stuffing to make one that big and I like the looks of your faces. I was going to use silt fence material but, don't like an all black target.

13. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Doesnt look as good but i had one that lasted 3 years then i gave it to a friend hes still shooting it lol. You can get those same 18 x 18 blocks on ebay cheaper actually. But i have built 4 different kinds of targets just for fun basiclly the one under ten bucks lasts a while but dont look that good but its just something to shoot at.

14. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    Solocamin; Didn't see your conversations as I was loading pictures trying to help.
    If someone wants to be cheap they can do it for free by filling dog food bags with clothes and replacing them every couple hundred shots.
    I guess it has something to do with class. Shooting dog food bags of clothes is like taking your date to the prom on a bicycle. It will work but!!!

15. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Lmao . I never heard of dog food bags before thats a first. But those are nice targets.

16. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    We do make a 4'x4' set of skins for $30. They are the same material but do not come with the lifetime guarantee as there are no aiming dots and everybody will shoot out the middle. When you wear it out in the middle, get 2 more skins and staple them over the old worn out skins. Put the trim back on and you are ready to shoot again.

17. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot all over a target. I've blown out my share of targets and hate rebuilding them!

18. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    How about posting up some pictures of the ones you build and sell for $10. We sell our Skins with a lifetime guarantee for $35 plus mailing. The rest of the money is spent on lumber etc.
    btw you can put 4 at 18" x 18" block targets up and they will be the size of our one. Just to give you an idea how big it is 2013-01-09 09.05.21.jpg How expensive is the Spider web sitting on top?

19. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    But this is a good topic. We should have or do more hiw to's. And show people how to build it for cheaper alot of people would like it i think.

20. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    O i dont sell mine just make them from time to time and i make them for my kids and there friends they shoot a ton.