Don't put out stinky trail cams.

Discussion in 'Manufacturers, Press, and Pro-Staff' started by DrSnake, Jan 15, 2017.

1. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our newest premium cover scent works for you and your gear. Deer can smell your odor on your camera. Keep them clean as possible, then spray a bit of Just Plain Dirt on a rag and wipe them down after installing them in the woods. Helps keep the camera camouflaged from the deer's nose. Use on your boots and clothes while putting out your cams to minimize your presence as well.

Lucky 7 Premium Cover Scents [L7PCS4] - $4.99 : Nelson Creek Outdoors, The Store

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dead Down Wind Field spray works well too.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I expected this to be a sales pitch for a scent free camera that you were selling??????

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Moved one of my cameras onto a stick mount in front of my rifle stand. When I set it up I rubbed some of EverCalm on the sides. Ended up with a video of a doe trying to eat the camera.

5. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I clean my cameras with dead down.wind wipes and then carefully give it a dirt bath and take small pine sapling limbs and rub all over being carefully not to smudge lenses. Also the strap gets cleaned and a dirt bath as well. Good subject here :)

6. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With all the stealth technology like black led and camouflage, I am always surprised how many people will take a game camera and stick it in their hunting spot without thinking about the smell. We tested cams "stinky" vs descented, and the descented ones got more pictures and less deer looking at them. And WAY more bucks. Much more than enough of a difference that it was certainly not coincidence.

Thats what got me thinking, what would be a good cover scent for them? Anything that is an attractant (food, deer urine) is out, along with anything that makes them curious (like EverCalm). Scent eliminators are OK, but really work best on bacterial odors. So we made the dirt scent and used that in testing and it works better than anything else. Now we have the scent perfected and added it to our line up.

Nelson Creek Outdoors LLC – Hunting & Fishing Scents and Attractants

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using good ole mother earth to cover my scent and equipment since the mid 80s. It's not new and other company's make and sell earth cover scent. Personally I prefer making dirt angels or having my way with a pine or cedar sapling just prior to going in. It's free so that's the best part :poke:

8. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dirt angels. I am picturing you in full camo flapping your arms and legs in the dirt. LOL!

The part with the sapling, I just don't want to picture that at all.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saplings have pretty small knot holes......

So I'm told.

10. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea so maybe they do I don't know :lol:

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very few people take time to eliminate scent from things they place in the woods. Be it a trail camera, tree stand or whatever. I wash anything I can in scent free detergent or I spray it down and leave it outside for a few days. I will add some pine branches sometimes to help with the new smell elimination..

12. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put a new one in as well, sprayed it with Just Plain Dirt and put out by cam. Deer walked under it right away. It is so easy to forget about your stuff you leave out there being stinky.

Bad part is, was my ladder backpack stand and I didn't get it out before it froze in for the winter :(

13. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was by my stand. With the rain that froze, I may not be able to get it out until August, LOL! Note to self: remove poratble ladder stand BEFORE it freezes in hard.

Also found one of the young bucks I had pics of dead :( Wolf or coyotes got him.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think its situational and not nearly as black and white as you are making it.

Take a camera on a feeder for example, your stinking up the place weekly when you fill it, and the deer are expecting some human scent and a camera at bait sites these days. I have mature deer show up 30 minutes after i leave in broad daylight quite often and they dont seem to mind.

If your putting a camera on a trail in an undisturbed place, i can understand scent elimination. Of course, a day in the elements will do a good job of taking any foriegn odors off a plastic camera that doesnt really "hold" scent.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  15. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From experience, I learned a lot of things. I get fewer pictures for a couple WEEKS if I go in and check cams without good scent elimination/ cover scent. I also see fewer bucks on cam. The deer look at the cam more. They certainly notice it.

Now, I have hunted areas where deer smelled people all the time. I used to watch deer eat the hay among the neighbors steer as it came off the wagon. However, even then, I never saw a trophy buck do that. I am going to stick with it being best to ALWAYS eliminate as much of your stinkiness as possible, be it sweat, urine, gasoline, cigarettes, dogs, etc. Are there exceptions? Yep, but they are called exceptions for a reason: they are not the rule.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feed every day, I even bring 3 dogs and a barn cat with me, I take zero scent precautions it is a miracle that deer ever show up on my property yet somehow they end up on camera.

17. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think all deer react the same way to scent. Urban deer that get three squares a day by a nice man with dogs get trained basically LOL ! Big woods or mountain deer that don't deal with human activities daily are prolly not going to tolerate those odors. JMHO

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That was kinda the point of my post.

19. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could show you endless pictures of 4, 5 and 6 year old bucks feeding in dsykight at my bait stations. Key factor being sanctuarys close by and lots of does.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

20. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's your key factor.