Noon from Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by MadDelver, Dec 17, 2016.

1. MadDelver

MadDelver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,
    Looking to get into bow hunting this next year. I have deer hunted 3 times with a rifle and I used to hunt small game as a kid with a 25lb fiberglass bow, but I've always wanted to hit the woods with a bow and stalk bigger game than rabbits. I was involved in Boy Scouting for 11 years and Army veteran, so I'm not a total green horn in the woods.

As to equipment, I have not bought a single thing yet. I thought it would be wiser to do research and ask experienced hunters for advise. I know I want a finger release compound, PSE Beast maybe, also looking at a brush capture for a rest, other than that I am totally clueless as to what kind of stuff to outfit my bow or myself with. Recommendations on camo, range finder, deer calls, ect.........would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any good threads I should read over while I wait for the 2017 deer season to get here?

Thanks,
    Roy

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect time of the year to go to your local bow shops and ask them to get you sized and then start shooting every bow that they will let you shoot. The bows that fit me may feel terrible in your hands. My son loves his Mathews Switchback and I haven't found a single Mathews bow that fits my hand or has a draw cycle that I can shoot. So this is the fun time and then begin shooting every time that you can and get into the groove of shooting.

3. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the forum

4. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! I don't know about everyone else but I haven't had a deer see me once in Lost Camo or Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity. Take your scent control serious as well! Can't go wrong with Scentlok everything. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

6. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site !!!

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi and welcome to the forum, If you have questions or what to read about tactics go to the forum page and scroll down to the bowhunting talk page and read through there. Also you can ask questions there too. Where do you plan to hunt? If it's public land you would need a different set up then you would need on private. As for a bow go out to WesTown Archery, Buck Rub or BKIII and shoot some bows and figure out which fits you the best. Good luck

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site, I am not telling you how to live your life but I would suggest that you just give a release a try it really can help you be a more accurate shooter.

9. kennys40acres

kennys40acres Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sota gives wise advice. I grew up shooting fingers & never liked the idea of pulling a trigger to fling an arrow, but shooting in a league I found my fingers caused a lot of movement. The first time you "misplace" an arrow on a large beautiful animal & you spend days looking for it, you'll understand why we say "you owe it to the animal to make the best shot possible". Here in Michigan, we have a company that makes a "relax" trigger release for those of us that prefer finger release. Winn makes a trigger you hold firm & "let go" to fling your arrow. I love mine. I hold more steady, less jumpy anticipating release, & it just feels right to "let go" an arrow. Free Flight Bow Release by Winn Archery Equipment & Geary Garvison - Order Online, Free Shipping.

Check them out & welcome back!

Mission Craze 62#/28" draw/PileDrivers pushing G5 Montecs

10. MadDelver

MadDelver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would prefer trad bow, the only reason I'm considering a compound is because after being deployed 3 times I'm not sure I can pull and hold a recurve powerful enough for an ethical kill. If I'm going to pull a trigger I might as well get a crossbow.

Tags: