Hello from Saint Louis

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Skipxor, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Skipxor

Skipxor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year hunting. A coworker of mine is taking me on his bow hunting trip next month. Pretty excited but am not sure what i need to get besides a bow of course. I have done some digging around the internets and it seems that the options are limitless. What are some basic things i wil need?

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on if it will be a warm weather hunt or cold weather where you guys are going. Get you some good boots and a good base layer. Whatever camo pattern you like, go with it. I like Lacrosse boots and Scent Lok outer layer. Take a Scent eliminating spray as well. Take some binoculars with you and a rangefinder if you have one. Always good to have a Grunt tube with you. Have fun and Good Hunting!

3. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find a good bowshop and ask them a million questions and shoot every bow that you can get your hands on.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest thing is to practice shooting as much as you can before you head out in pursuit of game.

Welcome to the site!

6. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome aboard

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All you need is a good bow starting out. You don't need to drop a ton of cash on your first try. If you want camouflage go to basspro, or cabelas they have cheap options for starters. Same with bows, but from personal experience don't go really cheap on bows I have a PAE stringer and I'm not impressed to say the least. You should try a good used now to start with. But go to a shop and have them fit you. Getting fitted for a bow is a must. Practice until you constantly have at the most a dimes worth of distance between your arrows this will come and go as you continue to shoot. The idea is to practice until your arrows are mostly touching at 30 yards. Scheels also has good selection but I think they are high in price.

After the season is over go to Gander mountain and buy the gear of choice on clearance. I bought all my scent blocker and what ever name brands this way and saved hundreds of dollars. They deer don't care what you look like in the long run

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site.

9. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!