New to Bowhunting

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Dashua18, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just getting into bowhunting this year. I bought my first bow about a month ago. I got a Diamond Edge SB-1. I've been doing a lot of extra research since buying this bow and am starting to think maybe i was a bit hasty in purchasing this bow. I do enjoy shooting it and get pretty decent groups straight out of the box. What i didn't take into account is the fact that i have a 26" draw length and this bow maxes out at 318 fps. I'm working my way up to the 70 weight and sitting somewhere between 50-55 right now. Did i make a bad choice or am i overthinking things?

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

3. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the site. Its not all about speed and poundage. A 35# draw will kill a deer. If the price was good for you and the bow feels good to you then you did alright. Find out what your comfortable with. Anyone on here will tell you that you don't need to shoot 70# to get the job done. No need to tear your shoulder up, then you'll be left to shooting a Xbow. (no disrespect to the powderless long bullet shooters) lol

Don't be afraid to ask questions or thumb through old threads. There is a lot of info here. Just don't have thin skin we like to agitate sometimes. Its all in good fun tho. Enjoy

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You absolutely did not make a bad choice. The diamond edge is a perfect starter bow. Use it to work up your poundage and it will grow with you. Your choice in arrows and broadheads are critical however. I would suggest at the lower poundages to get a quality fixed bladed broadhead. A good budget friendly one is the WASP Drone. Or maybe consider the Magnus Stinger. Keep shooting and then if you decide that you really like it you can always upgrade later. The flexibility of the adjustments in that bow makes it perfect. Now lets put it to good use and have fun. Welcome to the Obsession. ;)

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "If the shoe fits.......wear it."

As long as the bow fits you well and you can shoot it well, you are golden.
    Get comfortable. Shoot it accurately with consistency and you now only have to get in range of your quarry.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard!!

7. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Safe to say that once you start with a bow it becomes what shoes are to most women! i can say i have bought 4 sites a few stabalizers and rests and in on my third bow in the span of 8 years :bow: What you have is a great bow to start with and it is a good place to start to see if you are really going to get into it! and as said before you upgrade as you go!
    Welcome to the site and good Luck!

8. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!!

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and to the sport!

My girlfriend shot this buck last year with a mission craze which has an IBO of 302 fps and she has either a 25 or 26" draw and shoots 40 lbs. You will be alright:)

photo 2.jpg

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like was said, No mistake has been made, your walking down wonderful path. Welcome.

12. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for the response. The bow does feel good when i shoot so I'll happily stick with it. So far i havn't killed anything and i'm already addicted to archery. I'm in the process of upgrading all the accessories that came with the RAK Package. Stabilizer and quiver are good but the site and the rest are manageable at best so i'm going with a Trophy Ridge 5 pin and the NAP Apache rest. Now for the speed and weight (about 350 grain arrow) would a NAP killzone work fine or would a fixed broadhead be better? I've read a lot of things about what broadhead to use and don't have the money to buy a bunch of different types to test what i like better so i'm basing that purchase on what i read and suggestions. I picked the killzone because that's what just about everyone on the "Bowhunt or Die" Show use until spitfire came out.

13. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site don't overthink it just enjoy itt

14. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and this great sport! You did just fine with your first bow purchase! Enjoy it!

15. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as it's comfortable for you and you're shooting good groups, I wouldn't stress about it. Happy hunting!