Bow hunting as a hobbie

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Karen, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Karen

Karen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey y'all, my name is Karen and I have been wanting to start bow hunting as a Hobbie during my spare time. I had a friend that was going to teach me and help me out but unfortunately he passed away. I don't know where to start and don't know what brand of bow should I consider getting. If someone would help me out that would be great, I need to find something that would occupy my spare time.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Karen!

There are a ton of great bow manufacturers our there. I highly suggest finding a proshop nearby. You need to make sure that the bow you get is fitted properly and that is something that they can help you with. They can also help you with setting up you bow and getting the accessories that you'll need (ie, arrow quiver, arrow rest, release, etc...)

If you are looking for a hobby to occupy your spare time, you've found it! :tu:

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What Fitz said. Don't let anybody push you into a brand of bow. It's a very personal feeling. You need to feel comfortable shooting it. So make sure you shoot them all. Your pro shop should also give you pointers on proper form. Welcome to the addiction.

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. What these guys said is great advice. One thing that will make the pro shop experience a little easier, I would call ahead and explain your situation. Ask them when a good time to come up and spend a little time with you would be. They are super busy right now but believe me they will make time for you. It will make it a little less awkward/intimidating for you when you walk in plus it will give them a chance to be ready for you. Hope this helps. You have chosen a very enriching hobby. Feel free to ask any questions you have as you grow in this sport. Good Luck!

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^THIS^^
    Welcome Karen!!

6. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the sport! it is great fun!

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

8. Junior73

Junior73 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, Karen! As stated before, all good advice. Just to add a couple of things; 1) don't get hung up on speed of the bow. Go to a pro shop and get a bow that fits you right and is comfortable to shoot 2) resist the urge to start out with "gimmick" type products. Look through the books and magazines at what has been killing the animals you plan to hunt and go with that (arrows, broadheads, etc... 3) Play the wind & practice scent control. If you don't smell like anything then as far as the deer know, you're not there. Me, personally, I've had better luck with unscented soaps and detergents than I have had with the fresh earth type stuff.
    Hope this helps...good luck!

9. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Also see if any of the bow shops have a day when they host a class on shooting. They usually have bows you can use. Now they won't be the super cool compound everyone is using to hunt with but it can give you a taste of the basics before you drop some $$ on it and maybe find out that its really not for you. I'm not trying to push you away by any means its just that this can become an addiction and get very not cheap. But always glad to hear of a new interest in the sport. And there is a priceless amount of knowledge here don't hesitate to ask.

10. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If can make it up to the north side of Weatherford tx. There is a guy that could set u up with what u need not what he wants to sell been there a long time. My son and I met him there in April and shot cause it was raining I think it's on edge of town on 180 headed to mineral wells if that be any help