Obligatory FNG post

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by imworkingrn, Jun 20, 2016.

1. imworkingrn

imworkingrn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

I'm from the Seattle area, and recently I've been bit by the urge to be outdoors and take full advantage of everything the beautiful state of Washington has to offer. This includes hunting. With that said, I'm 30, I've been "camping" maybe 3 times in my entire life, hiked slightly more than that. I have never hunted, have shot and do own guns but no hunting rifles and have never shot a bow; unless you count Nerf or the little plastic suction cup kind.

Bow hunting appeals to me because it's much quieter than rifle hunting, the seasons are earlier and from what I've heard: there is more excitement and skill in having to sneak up on your game. I plan to hunt deer and elk eventually, possibly black bear.

As I stumble through the various threads and posts I'm hoping to learn more about what brands and types of bows are good for beginners, what types and how many arrows to buy, how people hunt as my current understanding is slightly more than "wander around and hope you see what you're looking for". What people bring with them, etc... Essentially I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks in advance for answering what are sure to be some ridiculous questions and helping me enjoy what I've been missing out on the last 30 years.

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. There is a wealth of knowledge on here. Just ask away.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad that you found us. Join in the conversation. Lots of really sharp people on here. I've been doing this for a LONG time and I still learn things every year so be patient and mostly have fun!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. imworkingrn

imworkingrn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I don't know where to start...bows...what are good beginner bows? How did you guys get started? What arrows do you prefer and why? What are good draw strengths? (is that a valid question?)

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best thing you can do is go to a "good" bow shop and ask (and even pay) for their help to get started. They should have a range or at least a place that you can shoot a few of their bows. They can help you find your correct draw length as well as be able to determine what a good draw weight is for you. They might have a few used bows that would be less expensive and would be a good place to start. Once you get the basics figured out and you have been shooting for a while, I'm sure that you will have lots of other questions. Please continue to ask away and we'll try and point/help you.

6. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ Thats excellent advice^^^^
    This sport is addicting. A person can get lost in all the technology there is to be had.
    As for Bows. Shoot what feels good to you, what you feel confident in. Don't get caught up in brands.
    Arrows all depend on your bow and what you're shooting, for the most part.
    Releases is also personal preference. Scott makes a very good product with a lot to choose from.
    Sights and Rests, start simple and then upgrade.
    Take your time and have fun.

7. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

8. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm glad your here ! Not killing zombies or stealing cars in video games. One time, that's all it will take, when u have a deer so close u can here it breathing. Whether u get it or not, you'll be hooked !!! Have fun with it and good luck !!

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Glad you've started the addiction of bowhunting :tu:

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Feel free to ask as many questions as you have! Lots of information available here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
  12. imworkingrn

imworkingrn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for the advice and taking time to welcome me to the community. I'm going to check out a bow shop/archery range on Saturday to see what kind of trouble I can get into.