Rage Hypdermic

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jacob Neubauer, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Jacob Neubauer

Jacob Neubauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, What is the least amount of poundage you guys have shot the rage Hypodermics? Just wondering if i'm not pulling enough to get a clean kill. With turkey season coming up, its getting me curious . I hunt deer and turkey.

Parker Eagle
    50/26
    CX Maxima hunters 250
    Rage hypodermic
    HHA Optimizer
    Whisker biscuit

2. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What I've heard and read most advise that your bow shoot at least 250fps with any expandable.

3. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want to sound rude or anything but I don't think you have a setup that would be good with a mechanical any of them really. Maybe that rage ss or the the hypodermic they came out with.
    My setup is 60# 28.5 draw length. An some say that's getting close to the line.

With that said. Arrow weight has a lot to do with it to. I'm almost at 500 gr an have had pass thrus on every deer I shot with the hypodermic. But this is just what I have seen an opinion

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the same as Gt, 28.5" @ 60 pounds with a 420 grain arrow. I only use mechanicals on turkeys and find that this works well. On deer I shoot fixed blades so can't tell you from experience with mechanicals.

5. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you would go with rage i would go with the rage low KE versions for sure for some added security. but i have no experience with a setup similar to yours.

6. Jacob Neubauer

Jacob Neubauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advise, I will re-think my broad head choices

7. Jacob Neubauer

Jacob Neubauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am planning on getting up to 60 pounds before august, have any advice for being able to pull more and bump up poundage and still pull it comfortable?

8. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a lot, workout. You can go with the new hypos they have a more swept back design in the blades for more penetration

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot at least 5 days a week. Not a lot but some. Gradually turn your bow up, one half to a full turn at a time. You'll make it!
    With today's new super cams, the bows seem to be a lot faster and generate more energy than ever before. The mechanical aspect of the broadhead is all that I would be concerned about. I know a lot of hunters that shoot fixed blade heads successfully at 55#.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^This is what I reccommend!

11. Jacob Neubauer

Jacob Neubauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok thanks guys, good luck this coming season!

12. zjl299

zjl299 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i shot rage heads with a 2002 PSE Diamondback set at 48# and had pass through shots on every deer i shot, mainly does around the 100# range and a handful of 150-180# bucks. Now i shoot a hoyt with 70# draw, basically a lightning bolt with speed. They were all double lung shots with the arrow sticking in the ground and all fully expanded. there are a ton of horror stories out there about mechanicals but ive never seen anything but excellent entry/exit wounds and blood trails with every rage head from the original 2 blader to the hypodermics. no offense to anyone out there but it to me and my experiences in my personal hunting groups it seems like anyone over 50 doesnt trust a mechanical no matter what they hear or see. i'm not the type of guy who is a walking billboard singing the praises of any product i use either. just speaking from my experiences here: rage hypo's are a quality broad head.

13. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As others have stated, I would estimate from your setup, 50lb. and 26 DL, that you would be low on kinetic energy for a big expandable/mechanical head. There are many KE calculators out there if you know the speed and arrow weight that can nail that down for you and help you make a more informed decision. A low KE version of the rage is probably a better option or a fixed blade head for your current setup. If you want to increase just keep shooting, practice, practice and more practice. Turn your bow up a couple pounds then get comfortable shooting that and keep advancing. Keep in mind that what you are able to pull "comfortably" practicing in your yard becomes extremely difficult after you have been sitting cold in a treestand for a few hours.

14. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rage has a hypo low ke head. It's supposed to be for some like 40ke. I looked at them for my son to shoot.

15. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know if the +P will be offered in 100 and 125 grain?

16. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at Grim Reapers, You can get heads from 1 1/8" up to 2". About as fail safe as you can get. I used them on 3 deer in the last 4 yrs. I used the razor cuts in 1-3/4. and had 3 pass thru's, all of them hit ribs and cut them. I had a 60lb. bow and 381 grain arrows. only thing that stinks with mechanical's is you usually need to replace blades after 1 shot. I have since switched to small diameter fixed blades.

17. Jacob Neubauer

Jacob Neubauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok thanks guys, I got the hypos but sales lady told us they were for low poundage. She handed us these, must have thought they were the low ke's.

18. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the entry hole from a Rage Hypo out of my Mathews ZXT shooting about 65 pounds. I'm not sure what my arrow weight is since I have had the bow for several seasons now. I shot the buck at 22 yards slight quarter away. I didn't get a pass through but it slightly broke the hide on the off side just enough to spray blood out of both sides. Deer went less than 100 yards. FullSizeRender.jpg

19. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a ton and lift weights. Look up exercises that increase your pulling weight such as rows. I do a lot of shoulder stuff mainly for injury prevention for shooting a ton. Also back and core exercises are important. The best way to increase your weight however is just shooting a ton with correct form