Howdy from the Prairie!

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by TRBrew, Jan 19, 2015.

1. TRBrew

TRBrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy from the Prairies of Eastern Montana!

I found this website/forum after trying to research things about my new hobby of archery/bowhunting. I've always kinda wanted to try it, but I grew up around firearms and not archery equipment. When I went through Hunter Safety back in the Peoples Republic of Minneeesootah we had one chapter on bowhunting and was exposed to it in high school PE and scout camp.

Fast forward 20-30 some odd years and we come to find out that our daughter seems to be a "natural" with a bow after being exposed to it through 4H. After being around it a few times she expressed some interest in wanting her own bow.

For Christmas 2013 we purchased a compound bow for her that she can grow into and after noticing that she had a hard time hitting her block target, but putting "kill shots" on 3D targets and/or "cut outs" of animals, we purchased her a 3D buck target.

This fall she mentioned that she wanted to try to archery hunting so I started to wonder what the local Game Wardens would think about me not having an archery tag, but going afield with my daughter since it is illegal to "Party Hunt" here in Montana. The more I thought about it, I really didn't want to "donate" a tag to MT just to take my daughter out, and also because I'd be kicking myself for the huge bucks I'd invariably see be close enough that I could "Rambo" them to the ground... ;)

On New Years Day I found a guy needing to dump off his two bows, one was a Reflex Grizzly and after a quick search on the interwebs I found out that it was basically a bottom line Hoyt... that was enough for me to contact the guy and buy it from him.

I spent more on my mechanical release than I did on my bow, but I'm bigger than the average bear and that was the only one that fit my hand... anyhoo, I have 6 "good arrows" and then went and purchased 6 more arrows from the clearance bin at Wallyworld. The plan is to build a backstop and target holder for the little one and myself to be able to practice this spring through fall to get ready for our first hunt!

Cheers,
    Oly

2. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the forum

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site, and the addiction of archery! :bow: