Greetings from a noob from Southern California

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by wildfirefox, Jan 16, 2015.

1. wildfirefox

wildfirefox Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. Just want to introduce myself and ask help as a rookie, coming back from over 2 decades of not shooting an arrow. Guns are getting way too costly. Time to switch back to archery, for both mental-physical disciplines, but also hunting. Wife suddenly got a need to hunt for wild games, since she has always been an outdoors woman. We both want to get back in touch with nature's provisions.

I hope someone can provide me some critics on my form:

Please, don't go easy on me. Be as critical as you need to. I rather get the flocking and learn, rather than getting sweet words and build bad habits. Thanks ahead of time for any criticism you can offer :o

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Roughtimber

Roughtimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello and welcome to the forum. The main two things that I noticed were that you brought your face to the string and possibly had a little too much pressure on your face from the string. It would be better to keep your head straight up and down and bring the bowstring to your face rather your face to the string. Too much pressure on the string can give your arrow a weird flight because the string is being off of center from the rest due to the added pressure from your face. What I like to do is to just barely touch the tip of my nose with the string, while keeping my head straight up and down. Hope this helps and makes sense. Have fun and glad you're here on the board.

3. wildfirefox

wildfirefox Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Roughtimber, thanks for the tip. I noticed that today as I tried to figure things out while awaiting for the critics.

3inone.jpg

I managed to create a tight grouping of 2 and 3 by chances, and picked up on exactly what you've just indicated. I did indeed added too much pressure onto the bow sting, causing the arrows to have funky flight patterns at 20yds and 30yds out. Now, I can hit 2 and 3 in tight grouping. 40yds to 60yds out, the grouping suddenly expanded to 2in x 2in grouping, with no wind influence. Could it be the lacking of higher poundage to deliver consistency, or could I work on something else?

Thanks for any advice ahead of time!

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! :bow:

Hard to tell from the video, but how tight is your wrist sling? It almost looks too tight to me. If it's pressing into you skin on your wrist, it's probably too tight.

5. wildfirefox

wildfirefox Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz, the sling may be tight, which I haven't notice it digging into my wrist. Thanks for the input. I will definitely loosen it more.