Offseason

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by newhunter, Dec 28, 2014.

1. newhunter

newhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first off season of actually getting stuff ready for the next season. But I have no idea what needs to be done and when to start getting things done to make next season a much more successful season then this one. Please anyone with any advice would be more than great! Help this new hunter out!

2. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Can you give us more details, kind of a little vague. What are who trying to accomplish this off season?

Beefie

3. newhunter

newhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have noticed from watching videos, people getting food plots ready, setting out feeders through the offseason, cutting shooting lanes etc. There are a couple fields surrounding the area I hunt, that I have no control over but everything in the woods is fair game for me. So realistically Im sure I cant really do a food plot.

4. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    I have to disagree with you on no food plot. My woods is surrouned by fields, I still put in food plots. Its just there snack stop before they head out to the big fields. Brushing out shooting lanes will start here in two weeks.

Beefie

5. Barnett

Barnett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I should start clearing shooting lanes in two weeks? My plan is to clear a spot and lay down some Antler King No Sweat No Till. But Im assuming I should wait until around March? Or should I wait longer?

6. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Season closes for me this Sunday. A few weeks after or sooner, I start up for next season. If stands need to be moved, I move them. Then I trip up my shooting lanes, Hang a few stands if need be, freshen up mineral sites.

7. Barnett

Barnett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How far off from your stands do you have mineral sites? Sorry for all the questions guys Im just trying to get a good line of knowledge

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't necessarily relate our mineral sites to stand as I have notice bucks tend to quit using them during daylight when the season gets under way. Rather, I set up mineral sites in areas that I know get a lot of traffic and possibly within range for gun stands.

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This site is here for people to learn, dont worry about the questions!

10. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ill start pulling stands in a few weeks. I don't leave them in trees during the off seasons.

If I plant plots this year it will be later for fall. I'll keep mineral stations running and stay the heck out.

In June I'll go in and cut shooting lanes during rain. I'll hang stands again around the same time.

Other than that I'll be shooting indoor spots and 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Off Season" to me is really just a continuation of preparation. The next couple months is perfect for shed hunting and scouting to learn your property better. This is the best time to find how deer have been using your property, how they move through it, where they may bed, where scrapes were, where rub LINES were, etc.. This is when you can start looking for new treestand sites and possibly set them up for next season. Minerals, trail camera inventories, etc. is also something to be thinking about NOW. See what survived and provide minerals if you are legally allowed to.

12. Barnett

Barnett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man you guys are awesome! Full of great tips! I am going to start these things next weekend after the season has officially closed! Thanks a ton!