Broadheads

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by MichiganWhitetail, Nov 23, 2014.

1. MichiganWhitetail

MichiganWhitetail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently shooting a 2003 Hoyt Razor TEC, Trophy Ridge V-Drive site, trophy taker shaky hunter rest, Hoyt stabilizer and quiver. 68# draw weight and 29" draw I'm using 27.5" CE Maxima 350 with 125gr Thunderheads, but looking at new broad heads, any suggestions? I'm thinking about going to mechanicals instead of fixed blade. What does everyone think?

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First... WELCOME to the site :wave:
    Now... why do you want to change? Thunderheads are an awesome head and have slayed a LOT of deer. IMHO... it's hard to beat a cut-on-contact /fixed-blade head. Personally, I say stick with what you got.

3. MichiganWhitetail

MichiganWhitetail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have also been considering going to the 85gr Thunderheads for next year, instead of the 125s. what do you think? Getting hard to find replacement blades for the thunderhead line around here. that is why I'm looking at changing heads

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I ran the numbers correctly... you'll go from 13% FOC to 9%. Personally I like a higher FOC due to my lower draw weight for increased penetration. At 68# you'd probably be okay. My suggestion would be to get some 85gr field tips, shoot and see how your arrows react. Just for giggles... get some 100gr field tips too and see how they perform. Then make your decision on what tip to shoot.

If you like a COC /Fixed Blade head - and your bow is tuned most any will more than likely perform okay. If you want to shoot a mechanical... a lot of guys on the forum like Killzones. I'm sure some of them might chime in, give you a thumbs up on them and share their experience(s).

Bottom Line: It's your choice (and there's a LOT to choose from out there!). A great resource to check out regarding arrows, weights, tips FOC, tradeoffs, etc.... is: Carbon Arrow University - Basics & Measurement Standards

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I swear by my NAP Spitfire Maxx 100 grain broadheads.
    If I was ever going to make a switch I would go to the NAP Killzones.

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great info! Thanks Jerry! I don't know if I'll process it all in one sitting but good to have. I'm printing it and putting it in my binder along with all my other stuff like the Easton arrow guide and what not.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I shoot the G5 Montec's right now. Best part is you can sharpen them over and over. Basically the same as the NAP Hellrazor. I was interested in the Thunderhead Razor and I remember Justin Zarr saying he was shooting them this year so I would imagine the blades shouldn't be that hard to find. Maybe just changing to a lighter BH would make it easier to find blades but not sure.

8. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I normally shoot rage 100gr and they do the job, but i do like the NAP killzones better mainly because they dont have o-rings and if you hit them on a limb or something they dont come undone. But some Rages dont have the O-rings now so either way you cant do wrong with those 2 BH IMO. Shot my Kansas Buck and doe with the same killzone and both clean pass threws and awesome blood trails.