From Australia - Looking to hunt white tail in the US this Christmas :)

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by jjj338, Nov 8, 2014.

1. jjj338

jjj338 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    xxxxxx

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you've never owned and shot a bow before, you don't need to take your trip to buy a bow and go hit the woods. That is nowhere near enough time to sight in your bow and practice, opens up WAY too much possibility of you taking a poor shot on a deer and leaving it wounded.

3. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Steven,

My question for you is when are you and your boys getting your bows? If you get them now and start practicing it's not impossible. When I first got my bow I was shooting good groups after a few hours (mind you I had a friend coaching me the whole time and he taught me how to properly shoot and adjust my sites.) With the amount of readily available information on this sight and Youtube nothing is impossible. You can get your bows now and be ready for christmas. It all depends on how much time you put into it. With that being said I agree with Schuls in that if you wait until Christmas to get a bow and hunt the chances of poor shot placement are super high. & I don't think anyone here is going to advise you to shoot a bow for the first time on your first hunt. It's just not ethical.

With all of that being said. Get it now & practice and if you and your boys can consistantly place solid groups at 30 yards then I would say go for it. Otherwise this trip you may have to pass on the bowhunt.

4. jjj338

jjj338 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Broadhead27, I appreciate the constructive response. Only ever having shot recurves and long bows Im getting coached with a Compound when we arrive in the US. Where I live the opportunity to get this type of service is not available.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. jjj338

jjj338 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Schuls, I hear your concern and can understand where you're coming from. I too do not agree with going out and trying to harvest an animal either ill equipped or prepared.

To get the opportunity to go out and hunt would be fantastic, but like I said in my intro it is the experience I'm after. If I was fortunate enough to take a shot at a deer it would be with someone that knows what they are doing.

Cheers

6. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't matter if you are with someone else who knows what they are doing. If YOU plan to shoot at a deer with a bow, you need to have time to practice and get it all set up and tuned properly. Taking a trip, picking up a bow, and heading to the woods is the wrong answer.

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you headed? Have you checked to see what season will be open when you visit wherever you end up?

Honestly, If you have shot bows before and understand the concept of a good and bad shot then hunting after a few days of practice with a compound isn't that impracticable. I think its cool you want to hunt in the U.S., just seeing deer while you are out in the woods would be an experience for you and your boys for sure!

8. jjj338

jjj338 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi No.6 Hunter,

I appreciate your reply. I was hoping on getting some help through this forum on where to go and when. So far it has not turned out that way :)

I have not decided on anywhere yet. We are travelling from NY to LA through the heart of the US. Im looking at buying bows in Pennsylvania but have not heard back from the retailer in 4 weeks.

9. jjj338

jjj338 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help Schuls.