New member from Northern Kentucky

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Badmeat, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Badmeat

Badmeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My backstory: I grew up in the sticks of KY, on a farm, and oddly enough.....I've never hunted in my life. I'm the first male in the bloodline to not be a farmer by trade. I've dressed and cleaned many animals, but I've never been the one to take the shot. Now, I'm in my late 20's, and have decided I'd like to take up hunting, and put some venison in my freezer.

I just ordered a new 2014 PSE Drive LT ready to shoot package in 60# for what I feel is a great price on another forum. I went with this bow, as it seems to get nothing but great reviews everywhere I've looked. My very seasoned relative(s), as well as a few friends who are avid hunters will be helping me along the way...as well as forums like this. The bow should arrive on Thursday, and I'm going with a hunting buddy to Field and Stream to select arrows, camo, and all other needed gear. I'm looking forward to learning, and advancing as a hunter and sportsman.

Shoot straight, kill clean, and drop the big one!

2. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

3. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Just remember to practice, practice, practice and when your done doing that practice alittle more. Good luck to you!

4. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the best archery forum there is!! Good Luck

5. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the forum

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!

7. Badmeat

Badmeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the bow showed up yesterday and I went to the local Field & Stream to get setup. I pre-set the bow at a 28" draw length, from measurements I took, and it was spot on, according to the guys at F&S. I went with Easton Bloodline arrows (400 spine, 100gr field tips) and had them cut to length as well. As for a release, I got the Scott Little Goose and also picked up a Delta McKenzie shooting block.

Of course after this, I went down to my basement, which may be all of 12 yards long and let a few fly. I adjusted the sight some, as I was hitting ~4" low on a consistent basis from that distance. I also seem to be pushing them right about half the time (I shoot RH), which seems that it could be from three things:
    1.) I'm collapsing my bow arm post shot
    2.) I'm kicking the release to the side and not pulling straight back through the shot
    3.) I'm torquing the bow and gripping too tightly (I don't think this is is, since I was making a very conscious effort to keep my grip and fingers relaxed on my bow arm)

I hope to get outside today if the weather breaks and work on my form at 15-20 yards.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, I live on the east side of Cincy. Just keep practicing and maybe have someone watch you shoot or video you shooting, to see what you can cleanup with your shot. It sounds like you have the resouces at your fingertips, just utilize them and keep practicing before hitting the woods. Make sure to consider whether you will be hunting from a tree stand or from a ground blind, can you practice from 20 and 30 yards, and elevation if needed? Just some additional things to ask your fellow hunters who can help you. Good luck, it's nice to see new hunters pick up a bow!

9. Badmeat

Badmeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be mainly hunting from a stand. However, I want to get my form down and become proficient at shooting from 20-40 yards before I start shooting from elevation.

10. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    East cincinnati guy here as well. Amelia to be exact. I hunt mostly in bethel but also new Richmond and a little
    Honey hole in the cherry grove area.

Welcome to the forum brother! If you are ever in the mood for an adult pop or two and some deer hunting stories/bsing, let me know. Always a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Amelia....

12. Lunker Hunter

Lunker Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Cant wait to read you new found memories. You are going to love this wonderful sport we call hunting.

13. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not too many things come to mind that are better than being in a tree watching Mother Nature go to sleep and wake up. Oh then that rush you get when you are new to hunting and a fork buck sneaks up on you. Good stuff man, good stuff.

14. Sconley81

Sconley81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site from a fellow Kentuckian. You will gain all kinds of knowledge here, don't be afraid to ask questions or post up mistakes as we all have made them.

15. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, badmeat!

I work in Bethel!

16. scottmills

scottmills Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. Badmeat

Badmeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of locals in this thread, it seems. I live over near Thomas More, and I grew up near Falmouth.

18. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like we have a GREAT excuse to meet up for some beers and deer hunting stories boys. Let me know if anyone is interested and we can plan something. Bengals game on a rainy Sunday comes to mind. I am sure we can find a centralized establishment to suite what we are looking for :)