Youth Bows????

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by DeepSouthDad, Jan 7, 2016.

1. DeepSouthDad

DeepSouthDad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, my son is 11 and he is pretty fit and good size for his age. I want to get him a bow for his birthday in a few months. I like to shop around for a good used package deal fully loaded so he can get more for my dollar. I know there is the bear apprentice what other bows are similar to this that are recommended that will grow with him and can be adjusted to over 30# for legal hunting next year?

2. Alan Mcfadden

Alan Mcfadden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my first ever bow they say anyone can shoot it from young to first timers..I got diamond infinite edge at sportsman's warehouse quiver rest sight for 249.00 then we got the rest of stuff so can shoot all together we spent 367.00 something I would look into

2015 Diamond infinite edge..
    new to archery
    new to deer hunting..

3. Alan Mcfadden

Alan Mcfadden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We figured for price of 249.00 you couldn't beat it

2015 Diamond infinite edge..
    new to archery
    new to deer hunting..

4. DeepSouthDad

Dislikes Received:
    That's not bad but I'm looking for something rigged out with arrows for $200 used in good shape. I will defiantly keep a look out for that bow.

5. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The infinite edge is a good starter bow in my opinion. It's what started with at the age of 36. Whereabouts you located at?

6. DeepSouthDad

Dislikes Received:
    NE Louisiana

7. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To bad your that far from south east Texas, I've a 2015 Infiniti Edge Pro been looking to get rid of but don't want to ship the thing.

8. Chris killian

Chris killian Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews craze is what I have it is super adjustable

9. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have two Parker Side-Kick bows and love them.

10. newyork103

newyork103 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    im 25 and i shoot the bear apprentice 3 its agood bow to grow with

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would pick of a 2014 or 2015 Elite Spirit with 30-40 limbs, then crank it down to 30 for this year and then bump it up over the course of his growth. The limbs are the same as other E series so you will have no problem getting different limbs all the way up to 60 as he grows, same with mods for draw lengths from 24-28. There is now reason with some updates that he couldn't get 8-10 years out of if if he doesn't put grow the draw length range.

12. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would check out the Mission Craze II.

13. codeman21

codeman21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bout my wife a mission craze II and its a real nice bow perfect for everyone small to adult. Real nice bow

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

14. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up with the Riot when I was searching. Really are no words for how impressed I was with the Mission line. Just a really smooth bow and deadly accurate. When my 9 year old is ready, those are the first bows we are going to check out.

15. Chaotic Archer

Chaotic Archer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if this fits what you are looking for, but a Genesis Pro could be an option for your son. You can purchase a full kit for under $200 and get everything you need to begin shooting. The bow is also adjustable up to #30. I found a small business near me that helped get some information for me when I was first starting out. You could contact them and see what they say. Hope this helps.
    On Target Archery – Virginia – Central Virginia's source for Archery lessons and equipment.

16. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can probably pick up a used and setup Mission Craze for close too $200 on craigslist.
    They are adjustable from 15 to 70 pounds and 19 to 30 draw length.
    I shoot one myself and they are great bows.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  17. DeepSouthDad

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, a little update. I took my son to a shop and we looked at several bows. And we found his max draw weight to be around 30-32 lbs. they had the bear apprentice 3, Hoyt ignite and one of the missions but I didn't pay it much attention at the time because I was thinking the missions craze maxed out at 28-30 lbs. I guess I need to take another look at that one. They did not have the diamond infinite edge pro and that was my number 1 pick at that point.

The shop guy did show me a pse stinger x and I really liked that bow and almost bought it right then my son liked it also but I had to remind myself this is for him and I was worried it was a little to much bow for him.

While ebay shopping I stumbled upon a Martin Krypton looks amazing. Anyone have experience with it?

So where I stand right now. Diamond infinite edge pro, mission craze/craze 2, Martin Krypton, or maybe pse stinger x. Even though they are a little out of my price range I still look for a deal on the mission riot and bowtech fuel.

Hopefully I can secure something before his birthday. I have a couple of months.

18. chachy

chachy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to bow hunting (36yo) and have a Stinger X. I think the min draw weight is 45# though. Mine is adjustable to 70#. I was also close to getting the Diamond infinite edge due to the huge adjustment window. As ybohunt stated, you can probably find one on craigslist or used somewhere for your price range. I am in the military and at our Exchange (like a Sears for Military) I saw the Bear apprentice new and ready to hunt for $299.

19. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The mission craze 2 is certainly worth looking at

20. DeepSouthDad

Dislikes Received:
    Thought I would let everyone know I got a decent deal on a Bowtech Fuel. I couldn't wait for his birthday so I went ahead and gave it to him.

I turned it down to about 25-30 lbs at first and he shot it nearly every day for a couple of weeks. His grouping is getting better and he was drawing back pretty easy so I cranked it up a turn. He can still pull it straight back but I see he has to work for it.

He loves this bow and I'm slightly jealous. LOL